Does anyone know a place where I can get a copy of Maya 4.0? I've already checked the standard venues, such as Ebay and Google. I have a plugin for a game editor (DEdit) that only works with this version of Maya. I'm doing level design in DEdit and trying to take it a step further with Maya.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

from the manufacturer website you can no doubt purchase Maya.
If Maya 4 no longer is sold, the manufacturer of that editor plugin will have made a version for a current version of Maya.
We're not going to help you to pirated software.

If only it was that easy. The game is no longer in production. Because of this, the plugin is no longer upgraded. So, does anyone know of a current source or have a used copy?

And by the way... I don't wish to steal or pirate it. I desire a legal copy.

Legal copies can't be downloaded, so you can't be looking for a legal copy...

indeed. Any talk of piracy will lead to infraction

As an Systems Engineer, I often download software from either the publisher or a retailer. The rest is purchased off the shelf. There is such a thing as legitimate downloading. You pay and then download. In this case, I need a link to a retailer who sells Maya 4 or contact info for a person who has an old retail version for sale. The publisher no longer sells the software.

I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences with people requesting links to pirated software. I understand the feeling. I regularly work with teens and occasionally have to get on their case about stealing music. Ethically, you and I both abhor illegitimate downloads.

Again, I'm requesting a link to a retailer that sells old software. Ebay tends to be lacking in Maya 4 these days.

thats fine then

I'm not suprised that you're finding it hard to get hold of Maya 4.0, it's pretty ancient. What kind of plugin is the one you need? Is it one of those Maya pseudo-dlls or a MEL script? If it's a MEL script then you can look right at the plugin source and probably fix it up for a later Maya version; if not, you may have a problem. Have you tried the plugin with a more current Maya version? Maya PLE is free for non-commercial use; theres no harm in downloading it just to check if the plugin works or not...

Overall, I'd suggest migrating to an new engine... Working with a now-unsupported engine is guaranteed to be a source of pitfalls..

I have some *.mel and *.mll files. They've been tested on Maya 8.5 but they don't work. I'll see if they can be modified. Concerning the game engine, the game is no longer being produced, so I'll have to live with the tools at hand (or custom make some). Thanks for the helpful response.

As an Systems Engineer, I often download software from either the publisher or a retailer. The rest is purchased off the shelf. There is such a thing as legitimate downloading. You pay and then download. In this case, I need a link to a retailer who sells Maya 4 or contact info for a person who has an old retail version for sale. The publisher no longer sells the software.

So do I. But I also know that when the manufacturer no longer sells/supports it there's NO legal way to download it legally.
As you claim to know that it's no longer for sale yet you want to know where to download it one can only assume you want a pirated version.

Contact the manufacturer. They may be able to help you out or know a legal channel that can.
Any shady site selling you anything now (and that includes eBay) is almost certainly selling pirated goods.

So do I. But I also know that when the manufacturer no longer sells/supports it there's NO legal way to download it legally.
As you claim to know that it's no longer for sale yet you want to know where to download it one can only assume you want a pirated version.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
-Darth Vader

not technically correct. E.g if you have MSDN you can download windows 3.0

You can also transfer the licence with some software ( even Windows XP, provided you transfer the entire package that Windows was purchased with; cd, keys, packaging, manuals, the PC itself if it's an OEM version ).

This isn't the case with Maya though.. Maya licences are indeed non-transferable.

i know it's an old thread...

They lost that in court, it's now transferable.
It is just an expense otherwise, when really it's an asset.

So you will see all old autodesk products available.
The thing is, the value is so low on resale vs staying on the books, that some companies will not release for resale.

My 2cents for new visitors of this thread.

purchase it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.