:$ Hi every one! I'm new here, just finished my registration!
I know a little of c++ and I'm starting a project for a game of the new generation of games...
like Gears of Wars or Bioshock but I'm feeling a little lost!
And I wanted to ask what is the best programing language for games?:?:
Because I'm worried that I can't do the programing of that kind of game only with c++!
And if some want to give me some more advices about game development I will be pleased to read it!
:confused:
Thanks for the time you lost reading this!

:P

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

You can go with Java or VC++ may be.

Read this thread, it has a lot of usefull info in it

Now for the part you won't like:

I know a little of c++ and I'm starting a project for a game of the new generation of games...
like Gears of Wars or Bioshock

To make a game like bioshock, you would need to be an C++ expert (seriously: EXPERT). Plus you'd need a team of (lucky guess: ) a few hundred people.

If you really want to make somesort of game, I would suggest you start of with a kind of cardgame. They are reasonably easy to program, although even this is quite a challenge for a lot of people.

If you want to create 3d games like bioshock you'll have to get an education in game-programming.

Good luck!

Great games use great game engines such as OpenGL or DirectX. Those do all the really hard work and let you concentrate your efforts on the game, sound and graphics. Yes, you have to be an expert on all those fields. You can't possibly code a good game without being a very good graphics designer, or know someone who is.

Gears of War had 32 people JUST on programming (12 were listed under "Unreal Engine Programmers"). In total, around 150 people from Epic Games alone worked on the game.

Bioshock (surprisingly to me), had less, around 24 programmers listed in the credits. I was too lazy to count all of the people.

In short, it would take a miracle for even you and five friends to make a game like Bioshock or Gears of War on your own. Remember - its 20-30 people just programming. The other 100 or so people design the levels, make the 3D models, write the story, record the sound, etc. W/o all that your game wouldn't be all that fun, regardless of how well its programmed.

Not to crush your spirits though... you could still continue/start to learn DirectX and work on some more basic projects, or, prepare for a career in game programming (which, fyi, i don't have experience in).

That's because Bioshock probably built more heavily on existing software and libraries, so required less people.

You could do it with a smaller team, you'd just take FAR longer.
And you'd need FAR more skill per team member. Think about putting a dozen people like Bjarne Stroustrup, Joshua Bloch, and people like that on a team rather than pulling open a can of college grads and giving them an introductory course in C++ and DirectX to build most of the system.

C++ is the industry standard for engine programming, but a lot of heavy lifting is done by scripting languages like Lua and Python. Also, if you're thinking of web-based games, then you might look at actionscript.

:$ Hi every one! I'm new here, just finished my registration!
like Gears of Wars or Bioshock but I'm feeling a little lost!
And I wanted to ask what is the best programing language for games?:?:
Because I'm worried that I can't do the programing of that kind of game only with c++!
And if some want to give me some more advices about game development I will be pleased to read it!
:confused:
Thanks for the time you lost reading this!

:P

hi am am rupak from india, i heard that java script is good for games

regards
rupak

<snipped false signature>

hi am am rupak from india, i heard that java script is good for games

regards
rupak

<snipped false signature>

Um, you know I'm not sure, but I think that advertising is against some forum rule.

As for JavaScript, I don't know any games that were written in JavaScript alone (like, actual games with sprites, not text-based games). It may be possible to make a game with AJAX, but I don't know if that's ever been done. I do know that Java can and is used to make certain browser-based games like Runescape, but I doubt any retail console games or PC games of the same standard were written in Java, and definitely not in JavaScript.

You can write sprite-based RPGs in Javascript, one guy even made a (slow) 3D chess game in JS.

C++ is the preferred language for games, mainly for it's speed and efficiency.

For good 3d games, C++ is almost always the programming language. Sometimes Python or C#. Aside from the programming, graphics are done with DirectX or OpenGL. If you're brand new to game development (which is sounds like you are) I would suggest starting off making some very simple games. They may not be impressive for other people to look at, but you can learn ALOT through them, and it's a great accomplish meant when it's done.

The first few games I wrote were in VB.NET (because I didn't know C++ yet) and were very simple. A blackjack game against a dealer, and a game in which images of people holding swords (they weren't even animated :p ) ran at an image of your character. You had to click on them to gain a point and send them back to the end of the screen. If they reached you, you lost a point. Simple things like this are a great start (they also give you the idea of how much work a real game takes).

Only once you feel you are very good at C++ programming and have a good understanding of DirectX / OpenGL would I suggest moving onto more advanced things, such as working with 3d engines.

it depends on how skilled you are and, as always, what platform you are dealing with.

I love C#, and did "major" in C++ before I discovered C#.

But let me just spell out the facts here:

1) If you use Visual C# (If you don't have it, get the express edition. Google it.), XNA Studio is pretty good (or so I hear. I just started with my first real game project in C#).

2) Most other freeware libraries out there are for C++, so unless they are Open source and you are willing to translate them into another, more basic language, you have to find one that supports another language.

--Of course, you could just write a library in whatever language that directly accesses the hardware. But unless you are in prison or somewhere like that and have nothing else to do but look up specifications and beat your head against the wall in frustration, this is a no-no.

3) Visual C++ Express has DarkGDK, which is really good, and XNA support. Both are availiable for free from Microsoft.

4) Yes, unless you do like a console game (as in Dos-style), which is almost guarantied to not sell (if that is your goal), it is gonna take quite a lot of manpower and time to do this.
--Think of the Harry Potter Games. They make a new one almost every year, but it is also made by one of the biggest game producing companies in the world, with almost unlimited resources, programmers, level designers, artists, sound technitions, etc.

There you go.

If you are a programmer of C++ and want to program games then there is a very good library for you, that is, OpenGL. I am also programming games and animations using this library, I am new to OpenGL and find it very interesting.

Think of the Harry Potter Games. They make a new one almost every year, but it is also made by one of the biggest game producing companies in the world, with almost unlimited resources, programmers, level designers, artists, sound technitions, etc.

A good game would take even longer ;)

An alternative to OpenGL (if for whatever reason you don't want to use it): DirectX. I believe Ancient Dragon mentioned them earlier...

It's all about what kind of game you want to make. If it's a "next generation" of today's your-PC-does-nothing-else resource-intensive first-person shooters (and personally, I can't think of anything more boring), yeah, it's gonna be mostly C++. And you'd better be some kind of rogue math genius. An independent developer going head-to-head with Electronic Arts and Microsoft in this arena is exactly the same as an independent filmmaker going head-to-head with Warner Brothers and 20th Century Fox in the action-packed special-effects-extravaganza summer movie arena.

JavaScript is appropriate as interface implementation for non-Java, non-Flash web-based games whose primary logic is in a server-side scripting language. I wouldn't call it appropriate for anything else. Any game that could be written in pure JavaScript could be written better in Flash/ActionScript.

I know this is way too late but if you want to make a game like gears of war or bioshock you could just use UDK wich is pretty much the game engine which both titles were made with exept you have to rely on the scripting language (which itself is suposedly comparable to java) instead of the c++ source code. the engine is free for any non-comercial use, $99 for commercial licence with no royalties until profits reach $50000 and then 25% of later profits (after tax) are taken as royalties.

commented: Do you really think he's gonna check back after 4 years? :S +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.