Hello.

Just asking any fellow nerds out there who program games with c++ or know about it..... about libraries.

I know c++ and a few non standard libraries.

What I want to know, is what non standard libraries or extras i could use with my compiler to make professional standard games.

I already have art assets made with 3ds max, and this is just so i can make a game without an engine doing most of the work for me, to test myself as a programmer.

all help will be appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

most game studios write their own engines and libraries and those are among their biggest trade secrets.

most game studios write their own engines and libraries and those are among their biggest trade secrets.

Yeah thats true, I know that those libraries will be the best for any programmer to use, to be more exact, open source libraries are what im looking for....

Thats if there are any truly useful ones...

You can start from here->
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines#Free_.2F_open_source_engines

But if you *really* want to try your game programming abilities -> grab C++ compiler (preferably Visual Studio), grab DirectX SDK and maybe some 3D free modeling tool (such as Wings3D) and just start coding some simple game such as tetris or maybe some card game or other game in same complexity level...

After acomplishing that project you will truly know are you capable of doing such sort of programming and do you liked that or not.

Good luck.

You can start from here->
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines#Free_.2F_open_source_engines

But if you *really* want to try your game programming abilities -> grab C++ compiler (preferably Visual Studio), grab DirectX SDK and maybe some 3D free modeling tool (such as Wings3D) and just start coding some simple game such as tetris or maybe some card game or other game in same complexity level...

After acomplishing that project you will truly know are you capable of doing such sort of programming and do you liked that or not.

Good luck.

Direct X is decent, but i would suggest using Open GL with C++, it has a lot of the same functionality. It also provides you more platforms to build your games on (such as Mac, Linux and Mobile devices), while supporting a more democratic approach to Graphic Libraries and where they will go.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.