My friend downloaded Unity3d to get started in 3D game development for our site; but found out it costs. We are tight on budget and need a free solution for the time being.

Thankyou so much for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

I don't get what these are. I have no idea what they're talking about in the first link and barely have any idea about BlueJ.

Depends on your language.
I have used NetBeans for Java games (which is free) and Visual Studio (which has a free 'Express' version) for C++/C# games.
If you are making an XNA game then I belive you need Visual Studio 2008 (at least there was no support for 2010 in June when I was using it), especially if you want to stream it to your xBox 360 to test.

Regards,
Colezy

I have found Eclipse and Codeblocks to be quite useful. These are both Open source I believe and run on Linux platforms too :)

What are XNA games? Kinda heard about them. Which Eclipse? I'm overwhelmed by the choice :S Any GUI choices to started with as well? What languages would I need to learn? I'm learning C++ with my friend, when I have time. I'm happy to learn anything else I need - Even dead languages.

XNA is a microsoft development API which has native support for xbox 360 architecture including the 360 controller for use in a PC only game. I believe you have to program in C# to use the API.

If you are using C++ then the OpenGL API is great for creating very nice visuals in 2D and 3D. Many games and 3D applications use openGL.

If you are actually planning on making web games (which having reread your original post you seem to be) then I would sugest learning Java or Flash.

Good luck, and keep us informed with your progress
Colezy

Sweet. Thanks Colezy. How do I get started on all of them? I'm planning on making both; soory for not making myself clear.

P.S .. Check your private messages.

P.S .. Check your private messages.

Asking for help through PM's is against our rules:

# Do not ask anyone (member or moderator) for help by email or PM

I'm really sorry Nick Evan. I didn't know. Why so and what are the PM's for then? Please forgive me.

First of all - I read it, never saw it. Second of all - What does this rule mean

Do provide evidence of having done some work yourself if posting questions from schoolwork assignments

? Thankyou for your help and honesty

>> Why so and what are the PM's for then?

Just for casual conversation. Some of us are regulars here, so we know quite a few people here.

>> Do provide evidence of having done some work yourself if posting questions from schoolwork assignments

It means that you have to show some effort at solving your homework. We get a lot of people that just dump a question here and expect a complete answer.

The PM was more of a private thank you than an ask for help tbh.

But anyway...
To get started programming in XNA I sugest you learn some C# first and make a few simple applications or command line text-only games like blackjack or hangman etc. Then join the Mircosoft XNA creators club at http://creators.xna.com where there are plenty of tutorials and sample code to help you get started.

For Java, try this tutorial http://www.javacooperation.gmxhome.de But again, some experience with Java would be best first.

Regards,
Colezy

Oppps, how could I forget openGL...

A reasonable knowledge of C / C++ is a must when programming with openGL. See the Neon Helium (NeHe) lessons / tutorials at http://nehe.gamedev.net/ I used them when I started learning openGL, and still do from time to time tbh :)

Regards,
Colezy

I just posted this to someone else but I'll show it to you as well:

A Java PACMAN game tutorial, I have no idea if it is any good or not as I am actually at work atm and dont really have the time (although I do seem to find the time to come on here lol)
Anyway, I digress, here is the link. http://www.angelfire.com/games4/anirak/tutorial/day0/

Let us know if you find it useful

Colezy

Thanks, I'll try it when I get the time. Nick Evan, it isn't in the rules

thanks chococrack, do you any showcases of gamemaker? I'd like to see what others ahve created before I delve in.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.