Currently making a space invaders game using a game engine framework from my university called EGG. It tackles all the DirectX for me and even has collision detection. All I have to do is add the game code into the framework using c++.

At the moment I'm finding it hard to work out how to spawn multiple enemies, move them across the screen and drop down a line (The shooting and collision ill worry about later).

I'm pretty sure it'll involve creating a enemy class with derived classes for different types of enemies such as invaders and Motherships ect.

This think this is a great game to start with and i want to put my own mark on it and not have it as mirror image of the original.

If anybody can help or offer advice I would appreciate all of it.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to look at using an stl container (list or vector would be suitable) to maintain a collection of your enemies. It might also make sense to use a 2d array because of the layout of the enemies.

To handle the moving and dropping down, maybe look at using collision detection with something at the edge of the screen.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.