Hi,
I was wondering that how people manage to get a HD resolution game @30fps on a server machine. My calculation shows it needs 210Mbps(24 * 30 * 640 * 480) bandwidth for a 640x480 resolution @30fps. Adding audio will increase it further. On Gaikai website they claim to achieve the same with 5Mbpshttp://www.gaikai.com/faq#technical. I am totally confused :-/ about the method because everything happens in real time. Kindly help.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Do you really believe that the server gives you the images at all time?
The server only needs to give you the information of what in your "view" and where the are,and if you also calcute the bandwidth required in this solution,you may realize.

Do you really believe that the server gives you the images at all time?
The server only needs to give you the information of what in your "view" and where the are,and if you also calcute the bandwidth required in this solution,you may realize.

Dear Freebird, I totally agree with you but this scenario happens to be in usual network games where we need all systems to have its own ram/GPU etc. What I am talking about is playing an HD(720p) game on a netbook with all game resources in the clouds. At the GAIKAI http://www.gaikai.com/faq#technical link what is happening that's clear but how come that's not.....:(....they just say that it is a patented technology.

Counter-question: why can you watch YouTube videos without any problems even though you do not have a 210 mbps connection?
The answer is the same in both cases.

Counter-question: why can you watch YouTube videos without any problems even though you do not have a 210 mbps connection?
The answer is the same in both cases.

Dear Aranarth watching a Youtube video is quite different from playing a 3d game. One is offline rendering so we can take advantage of buffering but a 3d game is real time rendering application that needs instantaneous changes in the screen contents depending upon the user action. This makes the answers different for the two cases and the thread remains unsolved....:icon_sad:

At its core, it's the same principle: for the client, it's simply playing a video stream.
The difference is that when streaming a game (or generally, a remote desktop), the buffer must be very small to allow fast reaction times. Even so, they are not as fast as when playing the game natively.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.