I'm quite new to Game Programming.
I'm currently learning C++ at its deepest... ;)
And, it seems that there are just too many options available to get into the industry.
From searching and digging in this very forum and other resources, it seems that C++ is the best suited language for Game Programming.

So, I wanna know which language to choose. Also, I wouldn't like to change the the language afterwards... But, i would if I have to. After all, who am I to decide what players and the industry needs!

And, I believe that one must use some or other type of library to make Games -- Engine, AI, etc.
So, which library to choose?

In fact, I'm Bio student and strongly want to change the field. As, I'm much more - far more - interested in Programming.

Please help....

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

C++ is one of the more widely used languages for developing games rules and keeping track of variables setting up collision detection etc.

DirectX librarys or openGl, openAl and openCl can then be used to render items to screen, load sound files and allow for parallel processing to increase speed.

I would personally say openGl and C++ with websites such as http://nehe.gamedev.net/ for some good tutorials showing how to set up screens, and do basic drawing to begin with.

The reason I say openGl is that it runs on mac, Linux or windows and is more open source with a lot of libraries and tutorials.

C++ and OpenGL.

And, also, as I said I'm a Biology student. For specificity, I'm in B.Sc. Bioinformatics.
So, I don't have much knowledge of mathematics. So, some guidance on that is also required.
Which type of mathematics skills will be required?
Any starter book recommendations for Game Development other than "Beginning C++ game programing"? As everything it covers is C++... No graphics and stuff.

And, also, as I said I'm a Biology student. For specificity, I'm in B.Sc. Bioinformatics.
So, I don't have much knowledge of mathematics. So, some guidance on that is also required.
Which type of mathematics skills will be required?
Any starter book recommendations for Game Development other than "Beginning C++ game programing"? As everything it covers is C++... No graphics and stuff.

IT depends what you want to specialize in really. I am currently studying graphics and computer vision. Computational Geometry in C by Joseph O'Rourke is very helpful showing algorithms and theory. GPUgems is another good book with people from Nvidia,microsoft, crytek and other big names helping develop the series.

In graphics understanding vector and matrices is important such as dot and cross products normalizing planes etc.
Trigonometry is also fairly common as everything tends to work in triangles. Being able to convert from degrees to radians is also quite important.

Hope this helps and gives you a place to start looking.

Very useful reply... Thank you all...

For maths, I've in mind these two books :
1. 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development
2. Mathematics for Computer Graphics.

For C++:
1. How to Program C++ Deitel & Deitel

For OpenGL:
1. Begining OpenGL game programming

Have already started and half way pass in the C++.

Any other suggestions? and yes, I've seen about GPUgems on net.

Very useful reply... Thank you all...

For maths, I've in mind these two books :
1. 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development
2. Mathematics for Computer Graphics.

For C++:
1. How to Program C++ Deitel & Deitel

For OpenGL:
1. Begining OpenGL game programming

Have already started and half way pass in the C++.

Any other suggestions? and yes, I've seen about GPUgems on net.

Well, to be honest, it's actually possible to make many assortments of games in C++ with no extended graphics sources. You could make games like snake, tetris, and pretty much any thing else you can draw with characters or ASCII.

I think it's better to start off programming using C++ itself and a few libraries before even bothering with OpenGL because those graphics libraries need to be linked together with the C++ in to one executable and it can be torture if you're a beginner, trust me.

If you know NOTHING about external graphics and such it's best to stick with C++ and develop games only using C++ itself at first, while maybe learning graphics libraries' languages on the side, like OpenGL or DirectX. They're very hard even for some experienced users in C++.

As I said, and you quoted, I've already started C++.
And, I have a good knowledge in C too. It was in our course last year.
So, I'm already learning C++ and will surely learn all of its concepts.
And meanwhile, I'll start learning maths which is essential for Game programming.

And, I don't know anything about drawing "graphics" on the screen solely using C++.
I could never figure out how to draw those things with C!!!
And, our professors also don't know how to do that. So I won't get any help from there...

I wouldn't call myself a "beginner" in programming. I've good or say fair knowledge in C and C++ both.

Try Irrlicht or Ogre libs before trying openGL.

Regards

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.