FYI: I am not asking for anyone to do any work for me.

I'm taking a class on Unreal Development Kit and I'm having a problem with differences in versions of the kit. The book we're using for the class has tutorials and code for an older version of UDK than what I have found. Unfortunately, the book doesn't mention anything about which version it was written with/for and the differences are fairly extreme.

I have d/l'ed all the video tutorials from the UDN website but there are a ton of them. I'd like to find something that simply described how to use the basic features of a specific version of UnrealEd. It's not critical which version, just something that matches up with the tutorial. Or, if anyone knows which version the book "Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume 1: Introduction to Level Design with Unreal Engine 3" published by Sams, that would be outstanding.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or references.

Joe

Side note: Working with point-and-click is, for me, much more difficult than hacking code. DirectX was easier than this.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for nssltd

I think if i understand your question that book is made for the UE3 the unreal engine is what you use inside the UDK so im saying that the book is for the latest version udk3.

If i have misunderstood your question please reply.

NSSLTD

Link to udk 3 : http://www.udk.com/download

I think if i understand your question that book is made for the UE3 the unreal engine is what you use inside the UDK so im saying that the book is for the latest version udk3.

If i have misunderstood your question please reply.

I may not have been as clear as I could have in my original post. The book was written in 2009 and looks to have been synced with a version of the UDK that was out at that time. I have d/l'ed a number of different versions of the kit and have been trying to get the tutorials done using them. So far I've used the December '09, March '10, and the most current (April '11) but I still need something between the March and current one. At the rate things are going I think I'll end up with 8 or 10 versions of the UDK on my box.

Member Avatar for nssltd

Are you certain the tutorials do not work with the april 11 versions? Post me an example piece's code ( a simple one ) and then i can see if it works.

Anyway i hope to help you

NSSLTD

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.