Hello!... :) It's been a long time since my last visit to this forum.

My question is:

Why MD3 Models are divided into different parts (head, torso, legs)?
I myself made a model with animations with only a part (the full model) in C++/OpenGL and worked just fine!

I dont understand why it is necessary to divide a MD3 model in parts...
Does anyone answers my question?

Peace... :)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

My best guess would be that it made it easier to keep the pieces separate for keeping animations specific to a section of the body. This way a model can run in 4 directions, shoot/punch (gauntlet, FTW!) and pop a static head on top.

I don't think they had facial/head animations, but keeping the head static would, perhaps, reduce file size as there are no animations applied, rather than keeping head data in the model files.

I'm not 100% on that last part, but I think it makes sense.

My best guess would be that it made it easier to keep the pieces separate for keeping animations specific to a section of the body. This way a model can run in 4 directions, shoot/punch (gauntlet, FTW!) and pop a static head on top.

I don't think they had facial/head animations, but keeping the head static would, perhaps, reduce file size as there are no animations applied, rather than keeping head data in the model files.

I'm not 100% on that last part, but I think it makes sense.

Thanks for help. :)

I understand what you mean with "reduce file size". It takes a minute :scared: to load the nodel into VBOs (it's a big model with many animations, and my computer is slow)!

Peace. :)

Thanks for help. :)

I understand what you mean with "reduce file size". It takes a minute :scared: to load the nodel into VBOs (it's a big model with many animations, and my computer is slow)!

Peace. :)

I was wrong... It takes 5 seconds! I'm so sorry...

No need to apologize =)

No need to apologize =)

Now I understand the MD3 model operations. We can rotate the torso, head or weapon independently of the rest of the body and also independently of the frames (it is bone animation?)

Thank you very much for the help. :icon_smile:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.