Hello,

I have chosen a project of developing a 2d action-adventure game with some rpg elements, in-game puzzles. I have considered developing with C++ and OpenGL. I do not have prior knowledge of these language but I had good grasp on C programming language. For C++ and OpenGL, I have bought books. I have estimated time of 7 months to learn these languages and develop a fully functional game.

Will I be able to complete my project on time or will I face any kind of difficulty. What other obstacles I may encounter that I can prevent.

Thanks in Advance!

P.S.- Any suggestion regarding the topic is welcomed.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I don't understand how much time you have. Especially the platform you are going to build your game to run and ise the game will be 2D or 2.5D? If it'll be real 2D you need simple math coordinate logic with x and y axis else if it will be 2.5d you must hanle z axis too.

OpenGL and C++ is the best option for starting and it will be good to examine the sample triangle code tounderstand OpenGL.

If you are good at c/c++, you can handle possible diffuculties. I advice you to build simple samples about ai, data handling, sound playing and graphical animations before you start.

If you encounter any diffuculties I'll be here. Good luck!

I don't understand how much time you have. Especially the platform you are going to build your game to run and ise the game will be 2D or 2.5D? If it'll be real 2D you need simple math coordinate logic with x and y axis else if it will be 2.5d you must hanle z axis too.

OpenGL and C++ is the best option for starting and it will be good to examine the sample triangle code tounderstand OpenGL.

If you are good at c/c++, you can handle possible diffuculties. I advice you to build simple samples about ai, data handling, sound playing and graphical animations before you start.

If you encounter any diffuculties I'll be here. Good luck!

The game will be for windows. I don't know much about 2d and 2.5d. If you have played games like "Contra", it is what I am aiming for my graphics to look like and also gameplay.

I am currently reading books on C++.

Under a time constraint, working with OpenGL doesn't really make a lot of sense. For a 2D game, you are probably best served using a library such as SDL, SFML or Allegro, all of which use OpenGL behind the scenes. By working with such a library, not only are the OpenGL specifics handled, but so are the file loaders, music libraries, tertiary math libraries, etc... Keep in mind each of these libraries represents MAN YEARS of work, most of which you will have to replicate and debug yourself if you "roll your own".

If you decided to go the SFML route, with your baseline knowledge of C, this tutorial will get you up to speed fast with both C++ programming and using SFML. If you go the SDL route, which is a bit more C'ish in style, there are a literal ton of tutorials on their site. Allegro is in a bit of a transitional state at the moment, but has a fair wealth of tutorials available as well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.