My title might be a bit misleading; I've created many games before and did know where to start with those. Now, after creating many easy arcade games (pong, tetris, hardball, and several fight games), I'm getting bored. I would like to start writing a RPG.

I don't plan on the graphics in my game to be amazing; I am actually going for the look that Zelda: A Link to the Past and Zelda: The Minish Cap have.

I wrote all my other games in Java, and I consider myself to be fluent in Java. I have read in many places that C++ is the way to go for game making. I'm wondering why this is. What gives C++ an advantage over Java and would it be worth learning C++ to write my game?

Also, if anyone is interested in helping me in this game (I'm going to need artists and programming help would be nice) you can email me at JavaJunkieDestin@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

You're moving into an area where you will have to write a proper design document, storyline, and things like that before you even think of coding.

As to why C++ is more common in game programming, that's pretty much historical.
In the beginning Java just lacked the capabilities in both APIs and performance to be of much use for graphics and game development. In fact, C++ has only in the last few years taken over from C and Assembler as the main language used...
Java is used in game development, but mainly as an internal scripting language for the game engine to control things like character behaviour.

Thanks for the response, jwenting.

I think I'm going to look into C++. What do I need to do to create graphics in C++? Can anyone give me any resources?

Thanks again.

That would all depend on your hardware platform and operating system.
OpenGL is pretty much platform independent, DirectX is much used but only for Windows.

For other operating system custom libraries often exist as well, or can be created.

That would all depend on your hardware platform and operating system.

I am currently operating on Mac OS X. Are there any worthwhile libraries for macs?

I can get intact with an old windows (98 I think) if necessary.

DirectX is much used but only for Windows.

Seems like Microsoft uses DirectX... I believe Xbox also uses DirectX (or Direct3D).

Anyway, I think I'm going to look (further) into OpenGL. There isn't an online API by any chance, is there?

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Seems like Microsoft uses DirectX... I believe Xbox also uses DirectX (or Direct3D).

Anyway, I think I'm going to look (further) into OpenGL. There isn't an online API by any chance, is there?

There's loads.

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

A cheap and cheerful way to start using openGL is to download Dev from

http://www.bloodshed.net/

it supports OpenGL technology.

Hell, even java supports a variation of it- JOGL

For the 3d stuff you need to familiarise yourself with matrices and all the math that comes along with it. Enjoy.

XBox uses a feature limited version of Windows :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.