By C++ game engines i mean the language that the game is programed in is C++. I know irrlicht but it aint good for very big games becuase you have to code where everything is. At the moment i am using Unity but the language looks like C#.

So what are other good and FREE game engines that you can make games for comercial use without a licinse and that uses C++ Language?

Thanks...

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

The source engine is definitely an industry-standard C++ game engine you could consider. There're also tons of free C++ APIs for building games, including DarkGDK, Ogre3D or Panda.

And yes, Unity3D uses Javascript, C# and Boo. No C++ (yet), unforunately.

What would you like your game-engine to do? Different engines come with different features.

If you want an FPS game I you must try ioquake3 or iodoom3

AFAIK, you can make commerical games using it but you need to release the source.

I would like to know any for android

What jgorard159 said about dark gdk is incorrect. It says on the website that it is for personal use only.

Unity, cry engine and unreal are the only 3 professional game engines for making 3d games. I have never used cry engine but I know unreal is very powerful but not as easy to use and needs a more powerful computer and unity is simple to use and is multi platform. All 3 have liscences but the free version is very good- in unity the free version can do everything except the lighting isnt as realistic and the other two are free untill you distrabute your game. None of them use c++ but even if they did it would just be c++ systax (which is the same as jscript, c# and i think unreal script) and the libary used would be completely different and you would still near enough have to learn it from scratch.

If you want to go professional, like I do, then learn how to use a 3d modelling program like 3ds max-get a free 3year student liscence or blender 3d, one of the 3 game engines I mention and also get a c++ game/graphics libary like directx, allegro, and sdl and make yourself a 2d game engine.

At the moment I am currently making a level editor for XNA and It is turning out to be sooooooo hard.

Yes see Unity is nice and easy to use and so forth, my only problem is that i dont like C# very much, i am more of a c/c++ guy, beginning to get fedup with c++ and all of its complicated ways of deleting and so forth.

GameMaker is even easier to use but the language isnt very powerfull and so. When i am more of a pro in c++ i might just write a FREE game engine, as friendly as unity -> as strong as c++

LOL

I've enjoyed using Dragonfiresdk to make gaming apps for the iphone. It supports c/c++ and you don't have to leave the windows platform.

If you want to be a serious game developer then you should not run following so called game engines. You can use either DirectX or OpenGL as real game engine. I suggest OpenGL is better than DirectX in some ways. To incroporate 3D model to the the OpenGL program code you can use 'Obj2GL' a new 3D tool that converts 3D model into pure OpenGL code along with its texture. You can download it's demo from www.easterndeltasoftware.com.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.