Background, I want to install allegro on the iMac 10.6.8 after my macbook crapped out. It didn't compilers installed whatsoever, so I had to find Xcode at a seedy 3rd party site because apple no longer supports Xcode for 10.6. It came as a binary, simple install didn't give me any install options so I assume it installed fine.

Oh yeah I installed GCC for reasons I don't remember, for the most part it looks like it installed correctly because gcc,g++ and gfortran are all on there. Funny thing is gcc and g++ have binaries in /usr/bin I have no idea where gfortran is but its somewhere. I just say the fortran compiler is gcc because I have no idea where else to link to.

I installed CMake 2.8-8 to install Allegro game programming library. When I went to install CMake, I got errors from the command line install, by installing symbolic links to the command line tools in /usr/bin I got the following Error:

"Failed create symlink installation may be incomplete: /usr/bin/cmake" and for cmake-gui, cmakexbuild, cpack, and ctest. It says the overall installation however was successful.So the command-line command "cmake" doesn't exist on my computer, but ccmake does, but when I run it I get the following error:
"Make Error at /Applications/CMake
2.8-8.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.8/Modul… (MESSAGE):
The C compiler "/usr/bin/c89" is not able to compile a simple test program.It fails with the following output:Change Dir:
/Users/me/Desktop/stuff/allegro/build/CM…

I changed the compiler from c99 to c89 to see if maybe there was a problem with the compilers. They installed with Xcode.I think it might have something to do with the path of the compiler or something. idk. I did run a test program off of wikipedia page for c99 and it didn't compile. No idea whats going on.

OK, Further reading of the error message leads me to believe an invalid flag is being passed to gcc. The readme says it works with gcc so not sure about that.

Never mind: I installed a CL cmake from the source files and it pointed to the compiler as being broken.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.