Hey I'm knew here and I've been looking around for the coding for any MMORPG type games, doesnt matter how big it is I just need something to look at.

You may think, "oh here's this kid who thinks he can just look at coding and figure out how to make a game," no thats not me but I do want to see what a game engine looks like in its raw code form so I can get some sort of idea what im headed for and what I need to do.

If any of you are wondering why I need this its because I'm making an MMORPG hopingly going to be called "Legends Of Kryth". I have a few people who are going to help me and a few people from EA games telling me things but I need more of a team or just something I can work from.

Please if you get a chance either post an attachment or just the coding *if it fits* on here.

Also if you would like to be apart of my team either e-mail me at

<< email snipped >>

or talk to me on msn with the same ID.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello,

You should check out the source of some open-source game engines such as Apocalyx, Irrlicht or Crystal Space 3D. That should help you better understand how game engines work.

Game engines, as you probably already know, try to abstract you from the technical details of operating a graphics library, such as OpenGL or DirectX. However, just so that you know: most people who use game engines actually know how to make their own, they simply do not have the time to create one. Using an engine without the knowledge of the underlying APIs limits your ability to use the game engine, even if it may not seem so at first.

Game engines are usually object oriented, so they usually start with some simple base classes, and then derive all further objects off the basic ones. Often, they include "extra" functions, such as image file functions, but if not, you'll need to get seperate libraries for that, or build your own.

Then don't forget the sound and input. Interfaces like GLUT can cover simple input, although you'll probably find it too basic and limited, so most people usually use SDL instead. SDL also provides sound if I remember correctly, which covers the OpenAL API.

So if you don't have the knowledge already, start learning some OpenGL or DirectX. You don't have to master it, but you will find a little bit of knowledge will help you. Also, consider learning some 3D math and network programming.

And just to let you know... you've got a lot of work ahead of you, even with a team.

First of all welcome to Daniweb :D

Some points to be noted:

1. Don't bother creating your own 3d engine, most people make a wrong decision here and never reach the other side. Even the biggest of professionals use commercial 3d engines for making games, then why not you ?

2. If the level of expertise of your team is above average or in other words they are all pro's, consider using Ogre 3d as your game engine. Its a bit difficult to get a hang of it and unlike many graphics engines just provides core graphics support and lets you code the reamaining functionality, but on the upside, it lives up to the name of being the best free 3d engine out there.

3. If the expertise of your group is intermediate, consider using Irrlicht as your game engine. Along with graphics, it provides the basic functionality of input output, collission detection, particle effects, animation functionality coded in the engine itself. It will really make your life a bit easier.

4. However cool the coding may be, in the end its just a damn code with nothing to draw out oohs and aahs from the audience. The responsibility automatically comes on the graphics. Without the eye candy, your game would suck big time. Consider pulling in your team some good artists, modellers and animators before you start off making your game.

Repost if any more doubts or quries on how to kick start.

Hey thanks, but one thing first... was my e-mail "snipped"?
*Just A Question*

So yea... is ogre 3D or Irrlicht free or can I get if free? If not are there any other good game engines that are free?

But thanks anyways that was sorta helpful, but isnt what im really looking for, I guess I could have worder it better thank just asking for a game engine. I'm looking for the technical part of the game or am I just misunderstanding something?

For example. World of Warcraft uses a game engine... as well as the coding for the game, correct? What im looking for is a that coding part, not the "Game Engine" but yet again I might not be getting something here.

Also would any of you want to help me learn or give me a good tutorial for OpenGl or DirectX please... cause from what people have been saying thats what I really need to learn.

Oh and would anyone even consider helping me with my game after I learn a bit more and start tinkering with building some things.

Hey thanks, but one thing first... was my e-mail "snipped"?
*Just A Question*

It's the rules here at DaniWeb:
"Do not post asking for an answer to be sent to you via email or PM."
and
"What will happen: Emails, fake signatures, and personal information will be snipped out of offending post."

It's because everyone should be able to see people's posts so it benefits everyone, not just the original poster. I know you were just asking for team members, but in that case, ask for private messages, as that is a feature this forum happens to have.

So yea... is ogre 3D or Irrlicht free or can I get if free? If not are there any other good game engines that are free?

You bet they're free. Just download the Irrlicht SDK or the Ogre SDK.

But thanks anyways that was sorta helpful, but isnt what im really looking for, I guess I could have worder it better thank just asking for a game engine. I'm looking for the technical part of the game or am I just misunderstanding something?

Don't bother writing your own game engine, like ~s.o.s~ said, but it's still a good idea to know some of the underlying technologies you're using when you use a game engine. Irrlicht seems pretty good to me, although I had so many technical problems setting it up that I never could compile anything with it, and gave up. It'll probably be easier for you on a Windows computer, though (much better tech support).

For example. World of Warcraft uses a game engine... as well as the coding for the game, correct?

Correct. The actual game code is usually the more complex part; whereas the game engine is more low-level.

What im looking for is a that coding part, not the "Game Engine" but yet again I might not be getting something here.

Right. You don't, and probably shouldn't create your own game engine. Feel free to download one of the game engines already previously mentioned; they're all free, and are relatively easy to use.

Also would any of you want to help me learn or give me a good tutorial for OpenGl or DirectX please... cause from what people have been saying thats what I really need to learn.

There's links in the sticky at the top of this forum for learning a graphics API.

Oh and would anyone even consider helping me with my game after I learn a bit more and start tinkering with building some things.

Sorry I can't, I'm too busy. :) But I'm sure there's other people who can help you with this. If you're trying to get people, consider setting up a sourceforge project, and starting coding. Providing as much information as possible about the game will make it more inviting for other coders to join.

commented: Bah..a veteran poster, I don't believe it ;) - ~s.o.s~ +8

Hey thanks a lot, that was really really quite helpful... lol.
If I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.