Hi there,

I am considering develop something use a Access database, which has been formed earlier by other my colleagues.

However, I am trying to develop a cross-platform application, and I believe Access is MS related and is not friendly to Linux.

There are many options of the database like Oracle and IBM DB2. I think Access data can be easily converted to either of them. I haven't got any experience about the database development. Any ideas which one is better to cooperate with JAVA and also suitable for cross-platform application?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Java DB (a version of Apache) is bundled with the JDK from version 6 onwards and is guaranteed compatible, supported by Sun/Oracle, free, and runs on the same platforms as Java itself (apart from some Java ME versions). It's a safe choice and all you need for small-medium apps.

Java DB (a version of Apache) is bundled with the JDK from version 6 onwards and is guaranteed compatible, supported by Sun/Oracle, free, and runs on the same platforms as Java itself (apart from some Java ME versions). It's a safe choice and all you need for small-medium apps.

Hi James,

Thx for your fast reply. According to what you said , Java DB should be a good choice. However, is that possible to convert my Access database to the Java DB?

Also regarding to the small-medium apps, how to define this? My .accdb file is around 20M, is it a medium apps?

Cheers!

for MsAccess issue I'd preffered MySql (crossPlatfors, owned and supported by Oracle too), with ODBC for Win and importEngine (various DbEngines) for data directly from MsAccess on Win OS, where is already instaled MsAccess too

Hi
I've never tried to convert access to Java DB databases, so I can't give you an answer on that, other than to believe there must be an easy way!

20MBytes - that's small, tiny. Ten times bigger and its still an easy fit in memory!
100 times bigger and I still wouldn't rate it "medium". So no problem there.

Have a look at the Java DB FAQ's...
http://developers.sun.com/javadb/features/faqs.jsp

the main problem converting SQL from Access to anything else would be that Access's SQL dialect is rather weird and decidedly non-standard.
Shouldn't have many consequences for the Java code, but the SQL statements used in the JDBC related blocks will need some refactoring.

I think this is a Q about converting the data in an existing Access database into another database that is java-friendly and cross-platform, not about converting Access SQL code.

@ggyyree: how many tables are there? How big a job would it be to simply export the data to one flat ASCII file per table?

@ JamesCherril

no I agreed with oldDuck, I can sets a lots of variables for tableCell in MsAccess, and built in importer from MsAccess to MsSql=>2005 (terrible API changes) ends with error, nor MySql importer as I mentioned

I'd recommend giving H2 a look.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.