Hello, I am experiencing problems when trying to remove elements from an array.
I've been asked to create a little program which creates bank accounts containing (name, address, bank account number, balance etc.). I have successfully implemented all the functions except deleteAccount (I would also like to add that my array has a fixed size of 10 elemets).

Here's my method:

public void deleteAccount(String accountNumber)
    {

for (int acc = 0; acc < nextAccountIndex; acc++)
        {
            if (accounts[acc].getAccountNumber().equals(accountNumber))
            {
                accounts[acc] = null;

for (int remove = acc; remove < nextAccountIndex; remove++)
                {
                    accounts[remove] = accounts[remove+1];
                }       

}

accounts[nextAccountIndex-1] = null;
            nextAccountIndex--;
        }

}

Whenever I create a new account, the accounts are created as it follows: 1001, 1002, 1003 etc., but when I try to delete account no: 1002 or 1003 I am left with just the first one. My question is: If I have filled the array with 10(or just 5) elements {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.}, How can all the values move down, if I delete the value of the second or any other element in the array.
Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Lines 17,18 are executed regardless of whether you have found the account to delete or not - they are outside the if test.

Lines 17,18 are executed regardless of whether you have found the account to delete or not - they are outside the if test.

Thank you very much for the quick reply! I've been trying to fix this 'error' for about an hour now. :D

OK - if you're happy then mark this "solved" so people know whether or not to read it!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.