Working with polymorphism collections, list, arraylists etc.

I have a sorted collection that I would like to split based on one of the objects properties. All records > 0 to one; all less than to another. I'm trying to think of the best way to implement this. I'm thinking Comparable/Comparator sorting and then iterating through the collection until I hit 0 and splitting there but it also occurs to me that theres gotta be an easier way.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Can you iterate through the collection, test each object and put it in one of the new lists based on its value?

That was the other option; I'm guessing that's about the only way to do it. I was actually thinking about a HashMap as well tho. Two keys with multiple values based on the < > 0.

A lot depends on the application's requirements.

instead of hashmap, you can also use ArrayList...but it depends on your requirements..

If you are using an array already, you could do a sort and get the index in the middle for splitting as well. The algorithm has bigger Big O and a bit more complex but requires less space use in the process.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.