Is it worth going out and using a program like JCreator or something like that compared to good-old notepad? They all should compile the same code, no?

Ian

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Notepad isn't a compiler. But yes, compilers can compile code written in Notepad or JCreator.

The point of using an Integrated Development Environment like JCreator is that it provides many useful tools, such as syntax highlighting, better tabs and a pleasant environment to work in.

If you're a Java programmer, I recommend JCreator. :)

JCreator
http://www.jcreator.com

Of note, there is a text editor (not compiler) that is IMHO the best out there. And its written in Java. It provides syntax highlighting for C++, Java, PHP, JavaScript, C# and many many other languages. You can install lots of cool plugins with it too. :o Here's the link:

JEdit
http://www.jedit.org

i use jgrasp, which is totally free, i think older verisons of jcreator are free, but if you go their website now, i think you can only get a 30 day trial.

i think older verisons of jcreator are free, but if you go their website now, i think you can only get a 30 day trial.

Not true. The Freeware JCreator version comes with almost all the essential features. Only JCreator Pro is a 30-day Shareware trial. I recommend JCreator whole-heartedly. Both can be downloaded at their site:

http://www.jcreator.com

What about the free version of Borland JBuilder? Personally I'm a fan of the .NET IDE.

I haven't used Borland much...but from what I remember it ran slow as hell on my old 4GB Windows 98 PC. Of course, that was an old computer.

The .NET IDE is nice. But its expensive. =( I'm still using the old Visual Studio 6.0 edition.

If all you're after is a great text editor, I still recommend JEdit, as it has syntax highlighting for almost all languages.

Okay, I'm not a java guy but I do some of it.

I use Borland JBuilder Personal (free), and I like the IDE, but it is sluggish (Java based). My school uses JCreator, but I'm not that fond of it.

For text editing, I use UltraEdit32. It handles every file format in existance!

For VB, C#, J++, or C++, I'm in love with the Visual Studio .NET 2003 IDE. All of its features kinda want me sing each time I use it. ::grins::

I think for serious Java development, you should go for JBuilder. The features are just overwhelming. If you're starting to learn Java and are writing small programs (maybe for school) you'll want a light quick editor, and in this case, JCreator. That's the editor I use for most quick Java projects.

If you're going to do serious web development coding, try Dreamweaver MX. I can't believe no one else mentioned it yet. :)

For C/C++ I recommend you using Visual Studio or Borland Builder. If you're low on cash, you can use Bloodshed Dev-C++, which is free.

http://www.bloodshed.net/download.html

I use eclipse for java development and I believe it can also act as an IDE/Compiler for C++ with an additional module. You can find it at http://www.eclipse.org

I dunno folks, I have had some time to spend doing some reviewing of my Java knowledge on a W2k system I have build strickly for Java Development. And well, I found JCreator to rock for doing what I do at least.

I use JavaWebServer 2.0 for my WebPage Server. And JCreator does have a simple easy to use IDE. And much easier to use, and faster than JBuilder (which took forever to install).

The system I am using is no meatball either. It is a rather peppy P2 350 with 650 MB of RAM.

But then again.... it is only my opinion. For Text editing I use Program File Editor (very simple but a nice little program for txt, bat, cfg, log, etc files).

Yeah JCreator is awesome. The only thing I don't like is that the free version of JCreator didn't have tag insight like JBuilder. The GUI on JBuilder is so slow I wanna shoot myself every time I do the simplest of tasks.

NetBeans is good, but any GUI designed in Java is just too slow for me.

I think these companies just want to prove something to their users when they design their Java IDEs in Java. All it does is convince me not to use Java cuz I don't like it's "feel".

Inscissor and Dani are right. I mean, the more I look at this JBuilder, and slow load time and task completion of the JAVA GUI, I have to agree I am leaning more and more away from my Java positive experience.

I have to admit, .NET is just too slick and powerful for my needs to consider Java.

But then .... who am I ?

Well, this may shock a lot of people - because I am hardcore .NET but...

For the next version of Java (I think 1.5), Sun has "promised" many speed improvments. Java isn't a bad language - its just much easier to things in .NET, and its faster.

I Think Net Bean is great other than notepad it also allows you to compile,debug and run you code with few clicks.

I Think Net Bean is great other than notepad it also allows you to compile,debug and run you code with few clicks.

Don'y reply from a thread created in 2003!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.