How can I convert videos (flv, wmv, mov, m2v, etc..) to mp4 format ?

Actually, I'm trying to embedd videos in my web application (on a web browser), but to play them (flv, wmv, mov, m2v, etc..), user needs to add plugin (vlc, wmp, etc). But HTML video tags plays mp4 videos without any plugin. So, I'm trying to convert all the videos in MP4 format and embedd them using video tag.

Any kind of help would be highly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I don't think you can do that within Java, so you probably need to run an external command-line utility using ProcessBuilder.

Handbrake has an excellent repution for converting stuff betoween video formats, and has a command line interface. see https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide

Well, it's certainly possible to write a program that converts anything to anything else, if you know the data formats and how to map one to the other.
But it's a hell of a lot of work to do yourself. Far better to determine a narrower subset of needed conversions and purchase or otherwise attain from external sources software that can do the conversions for you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.