hello..... i am new in the coding field..... and i understand the working of codes in java......but couldn't able to start.....i have to make a program of videoconferencing.....how to start coding on it.....

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Hi Aditya

Yes, we can help you - but remember that you must make an effort and try. The more you try, the more we will help you.

If you are new to coding then videoconferencing is going to be very difficult for you. It involves media handling, client-server computing, all kinds of advanced topics. Even an experienced Java developer would find parts of it challenging. What has gone wrong here? Has your teacher set an unrealistic task, or have you missed out on some earlier stages?

or did you decide on "going the whole way" immediately?

Videoconferencing is easily a project that an entire team of analysts/developers/testers spend months on, not something to write while learning to program.

If you do choose to start with it, start with a decent analysis. It will prevent numerous hours of debugging or changing code afterwards.

Thnx for your replies....actually i am B.TECH in computer science.
what are the advance topics it contain under java?
what the mean of decent analysis?

If you have a B.Tech in computer science then you will know how to answer those questions.

So where i should start from? Can get you email id or something through which i can directly contact you

Please be aware of DaniWeb member rules, including "Do not solicit for help by email". DaniWeb is a resource that everyone can contribute to and everybody can use, so please post your question in the forum so others can help answer it and more people can learn from it.

It's impossible to know what help to give you without an understanding of where you are now in terms of Java knowledge and specific progress on this application.
But if you really don't even know where to start, then this assignment is sure to be beyond your current skill level.

What is the the problem to this code....No output is shown to me

CLIENT: 
import java.io.*;  
import java.net.*;

public static void main(String[] args) {
   try{      
Socket s=new Socket("10.255.67.218",1422);  
DataOutputStream dout=new DataOutputStream(s.getOutputStream());  
dout.writeUTF("Hello Server");  
dout.flush();  
dout.close();  
s.close();  
}catch(Exception e){System.out.println(e);}  
}  
}      

SERVER:
   import java.io.*;  
import java.net.*;  
public class MyServer {  
public static void main(String[] args){  
try{  
ServerSocket ss=new ServerSocket(1422);  
Socket s=ss.accept();//establishes connection   
DataInputStream dis=new DataInputStream(s.getInputStream());  
String  str=(String)dis.readUTF();  
System.out.println("message= "+str);  
ss.close();  
}catch(Exception e){System.out.println(e);}  
}  
}

Use your debugger (or lots of print statements) to trace the execution of both the server and the client so you can see what is happening.

i tried it but no error found

Please read my previous post.

what the use of dll files in our java project

what do you use them for?
Personally, I wouldn't use them, since they (unlike Java) are not platform independent.

"what the use of dll files in our java project"

Since we have zero information about your project there is no possible way to answer that question.

Are you just having a joke at our expense?

oh, DLL files can make for nice padding to make your application appear larger to the customer because it takes up more disk space.
And we all know larger applications are better applications :)

it means their is no specific use of dll file in the project

That's not what we said Aditya. We said: "since we know nothing of your project, we can not comment on that."

ok....as you know i working on the video conferencing.... is their is any use of dll files

DLL files are undesirable, especially because they prevent you running the application on a different platform.

You are asking all the wrong questuions in the wrong order.

1. Document your requirements
  2. Perform an initial design
  3. If the design reveals a need for functionality that pure Java/JavaFX cannot provide, then search for a third-party solution (which may involve a DLL)

Once again, based on your questions, and your inability to perform basic debugging on your small client/server test program, a videoconferencing application is way beyond your current skills. Please find something more suitable for a beginning learner.

Thnx for your replies....actually i am B.TECH in computer science.

I assume that you mean that you have actually graduated with said degree, rather than that you are currently a student. Unfortunately, that still tells us little about your programming ability, as quite a few people graduate with Bachelor's, Master's, or even Doctoral degrees who have no skill or knowledge of the field they allegedly are accomplished in, and sadly, it is possible to go through an entire career in high-paying positions without learning a thing as well.

As for your question regarding DLLs, as has already been said, we would need a lot more context to determine what, if any, relevance they have to your project. since you are working in Java, the most obvious answer would be 'none at all', but it all depends on factors we don't know.

Dynamic Link Libraries are a feature of Microsoft Windows which allow native code libraries to be shared in system memory by multiple processes running simultaneously; the same feature is called 'shared libraries' in Unix-like operating systems such as Linux or MacOS X, but in all cases, the support for them is specific to the particular operating system.

Now, one of the primary aspects of Java is that it does not run native on any operating system; Java programs compile to a bytecode that is either run directly in the virtual machine, or is further compiled to native code by a Just-In-Time compiler that is managed by the virtual machine program. As both a design principle of the language and as a practical matter, Java programs generally do not require explicit use of any OS-specific features. Unless you are using the Java Native Interface (JNI) to call to a DLL explicitly, or using a Java library that does, you won't need any DLLs at all.

The thing is, this is all stuff you should have known already, if you have a B.Tech degree and have studied either Java programming or Windows programming before. As I said earlier, that doesn't mean you actually learned it, or even that your courses covered this at all, but it is the sort of thing that is basic to understanding those platforms. The fact that you are asking about it says that you need to study up on these matters in greater depth before tackling a project of this scope.

Not that this is a bad thing per se; this is a field that requires constant study to keep up with, and most programmers who are actually competent spend as much time in study after they finish their college work as they did while still in school. A university degree is only a foundation for your later study, not the end of your studies. If nothing else, this field is far too broad to be covered by even the best schooling.

as to your code, it works as one would expect, IF you're connecting the client to the correct IP address.
In other words, if you're running the server on a computer with a different IP address from the one you used in the client you'll indeed not get any output.
If there's a firewall in between blocking that port you won't get any output.
If there's a firewall in between blocking the protocol you're using (and you are, even if it's not explicitly defined), you won't get any output.

Run both on the same machine and use 127.0.0.1 as the IP address and it works just fine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.