Can anyone tell me the difference in JDK & SDK?

I believed till now that both term are same.

...but SunMicrosystem tell both are different. (You can find it at Sun's website)

So what is the difference in these two terms?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

SDK includes things like tomact i think

you're wrong.
Sun's right.

The JDK is an SDK, but an SDK doesn't have to be a JDK.

I agree with jwenting

Nice explanation is here

The JDK is a subset of what is loosely defined as a Software development kit (SDK) in the general sense. In the descriptions which accompany their recent releases for Java SE, EE, and ME, Sun acknowledge that under their terminology, the JDK forms the subset of the SDK which is responsible for the writing and running of Java programs. The remainder of the SDK is composed of extra software, such as Application Servers, Debuggers, and Documentation.

Wikipedia is wrong. A JDK is a full SDK, so it's an implementation of the concept of
"SDK" rather than a subset of it.

Wikipedia is wrong. A JDK is a full SDK, so it's an implementation of the concept of
"SDK" rather than a subset of it.

The wikipedia is selfcorrecting, give it a try.

I know. It's also known to revert corrections back to a state where the article is in error though.
I've pretty much given up trying to correct things for that reason if the correction is more than a single word.

Conceptually, SDK(Software Development Kit) is superset of JDK. It comes with Java Development Kit and additional components like Netbeans IDE which helps to develop software.

jwenting is correct and you can find the same explanation on java.sun.com . . JDK is an SDK. They probably just call it JDK instead for the same reason that so many other things in Java have that J.

Conceptually, SDK(Software Development Kit) is superset of JDK. It comes with Java Development Kit and additional components like Netbeans IDE which helps to develop software.

I agree with Dezno

You might also agree with him if he says 1 + 1 = 3 but that doesn't make it any more true.

finally what's is answer? Fully confusing

see my reply from 27 november 2007...

@learner111

Please do not resurrect threads that are years old. By doing so you run the risk of confusing current posters. If you have any questions please ask. You are welcome to start your own threads.

Thread Closed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.