I recently updated my system to XP-2 with a pentium III. I have a number of qbasic programs I developed to use in my hobbies and lo and behold, I can't print to my usb port. The programs run okay. I should think this is a problem that has been solved many times but I haven't run acrossed the answer. Perhaps print-to-file then open and print the file with notepad or something. Any ideas?

Thanks, Paul

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Thanks! i check it out but i think i found a solution and it was as i suspected with a little wrinkle thrown in that makes it easier. 1st - create a text file the with the SHELL command you can open wordpad with a /p and the file name and wordpad will open the file and send it to the default windows printer. i haven't developed the code yet so wish me luck.

Thanks for you help. paul

You can use LPRINT , can't you?

You can use LPRINT , can't you?

LPRINT is hardcoded to LPT1: (only) and doesn't offer a way to close the LPT port at the print job end, causing long delays in newer Windows systems. Changing "LPRINT" with "PRINT #" as explained in the article above is easy with a good text editor and solves both those problems.
Regards,
Davide

Thanks! i check it out but i think i found a solution and it was as i suspected with a little wrinkle thrown in that makes it easier. 1st - create a text file the with the SHELL command you can open wordpad with a /p and the file name and wordpad will open the file and send it to the default windows printer. i haven't developed the code yet so wish me luck.

Thanks for you help. paul

OPEN "O",1,"PRINT.TMP"
PRINT #1, "Just testing the code."
CLOSE 1
SHELL "C:\PATH\WORDPAD.EXE"

That's all there is to it.

OPEN "O",1,"PRINT.TMP"
PRINT #1, "Just testing the code."
CLOSE 1

Oops!

SHELL "C:\PATH\WORDPAD.EXE PRINT.TMP"

That's not enough. This way all the printer control codes embedded in the text would end up on paper.
You should create an RTF file for Wordpad instead of a TXT, and translate all the Bold, Condensed and other control codes sent by the Basic program into the corresponding RTF commands.
Regards,
Davide

I recently updated my system to XP-2 with a pentium III. I have a number of qbasic programs I developed to use in my hobbies and lo and behold, I can't print to my usb port. The programs run okay. I should think this is a problem that has been solved many times but I haven't run acrossed the answer. Perhaps print-to-file then open and print the file with notepad or something. Any ideas?

Thanks, Paul

reply: Try http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/dosprint.html

I had the same problem, & this works for me. Good luck. Jack

Thanks, Paul

Try http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/dosprint.html
It works for me! Jackgrt

Thanks, Paul

One way is to do a 'Print Screen' which copies the screen to clipboard, then paste into Paint or other graphic editor. You can print from there. For a formatted output, you'll need a line printer on a parallel port. There are converters on the market from parallel to USB, also. I'm hoping someone will respond with a way to get QBasic to drive the USB port, as I have the same problem.

or, try "printfil" (shareware), even better, for me. good luck, Jack

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.