Hi,

I've started developing for Androind [ditched Symbian but that's a whole diferent styory], and I'm not what you'd call a naturall Java developer [much prefer c++]. Eclipse seems to run rediculously slowly on windows 7 (64bit), and running a dual boot system with Linux [on which it seems to run a lot faster] is out of the qustion as it destabalises my machine. I don't have the cash to invest in a dedicated Linux machine at the moment so that's out of the question, and I need windows for music production.

My question is does this have anything to do with the fact that I'm having to develop in 32bit Java on a 64bit system. Can I run Eclipse useing 64bit Java, and develop the app in 43bit Java for Android?

Thanx

[P.S. Sorry about the spelling, I'm dislexic and I've just switched back to IE and it dosen't have aspell checking]

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

I'm trying to develop Android Apps using Eclipse on an i3, 3Gb Mem, 500Gb HD, PC running win 7 and the standard 6d4bit/32bit Java VM's and JDKs. Eclipse is running like a dog, and the emulator takes about three minutes to run up the simplest app. There's got to be a way to speed this up, or better still, a better development environment and emulator. I'm getting desperate enough to switch the whole project to apple iPhone...

I have no idea why your Eclipse is so slow that is not normal. If you want you can try IntelliJ Idea 10 Community Edition that has now support for Android. As for what version of Java you should use, it doesn't matter.

PS: Next time please do not create new thread just because you did not receive fast reply.

Fine, I'll leave your nice friendly community in piece and go somewhere else. How else are you supposed to ask questions. I searched for an answer. When did the Internet get so fucking up it's self and bombastic. When I was coming up as a programmer people felt a duty to help other programmers. Seams that's changed as well as everything else. Have fun with your little world.

Good by

I see no reason why you got wind-up. I answered to my best knowledge and ask you not to double post. If you are not capable take friendly meant criticism well then that is bad.
Choice of staying or leaving is your. Nevertheless if you stay you are expected to adhere forum rules where keep it organize clear state "Do not post the same question multiple times"

I got wound up because I was frustrated with not being able to get an important project started, and not having the time to go through the tiny details about how the editor works on this site. Even though I was a newbie, something that in days gone past people might have taken into account, you felt it necessary to point out the fact that I'd inadvertently posted the same question twice, without stopping to consider that maybe it was simply a mistake on my part because I was stressed, and not really thinking about the "On line community rules", but the fact that I have six month to learn how to do this, and get something running. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but in my day we gave newbies a bit of leeway in an online forum. It seams that more than just the language we use to write software has changed. Instead of simply assuming that people have a selfish agenda, you might want to try asking them first, instead of quoting the rules.

Hi,

I've started developing for Androind [ditched Symbian but that's a whole diferent styory], and I'm not what you'd call a naturall Java developer [much prefer c++]. Eclipse seems to run rediculously slowly on windows 7 (64bit), and running a dual boot system with Linux [on which it seems to run a lot faster] is out of the qustion as it destabalises my machine. I don't have the cash to invest in a dedicated Linux machine at the moment so that's out of the question, and I need windows for music production.

My question is does this have anything to do with the fact that I'm having to develop in 32bit Java on a 64bit system. Can I run Eclipse useing 64bit Java, and develop the app in 43bit Java for Android?

Thanx

[P.S. Sorry about the spelling, I'm dislexic and I've just switched back to IE and it dosen't have aspell checking]

As to the specific reason why Eclipse seems to run slow on your Win7 system, I can't say, but I do know that there is a LOT of unnecessary cruft running on most Win7 systems I have seen (clients - I won't touch it myself with a 10' poll). The first thing to look at is the virus scanner. Most Windows AV tools dynamically scan EVERY bit of stuff that goes into memory, with the resulting serious hit on performance. So, go to the security center and turn off on-access scanning and then see if it runs faster.

@rubberman: Thank you. Actually I'd much rather either develop on Linux [Which is my first choice] or develop without having to use Eclipse as the code editor, and just do it from the command line using Ant. But the real problem is how slowly the Emulator executes. It seams to run a lot faster in Linux, witch would support your argument. The problem is that Windows 7 became unstable until I installed SP1, which wiped out my dual boot system [And my Linux instillation with it]. If I could reinstall the Linux partition it would solve a lot of problems, but since installing SP1 Ubuntu [64 or 32 bit]. I haven't had the chance to try Red Hat [Which is another of my favourite development environments], but I'll probably download it today and give it a go. If anyone can tell me if there are any know problems with Win7 [SP1] I'd be really greatfull.

I am running Scientific Linux 6 (a clone of RHEL 6) for the past several months, after 3 years running CentOS 5 (close of RHEL 5). I've been happy with both, and both have some minor issues, stability not being one of those issues. Mostly they deal with changes in the desktop managers (KDE and Gnome). I run Windows in a virtual machine (using VirtualBox) which does support Windows 7, so if you want to run Win7 under Linux, you can easily enough. As for known problems with Win7 SP1, I don't know since as I mentioned before I don't run Win7. I have a couple of clients that run Win7, and they much prefer it to Vista, but that's not saying much.

commented: Read carefully before replying -3

@rubberman better read properly before you reply.

@1ML no idea why emulator is running so slow for you I have no problem on my pc (dual boot win 7 / ubuntu 10.10). However I do use IntelliJ instead of Eclipse. PS: You sure that partition was deleted? Windows normally moves boot-loader to it self, but it wouldn't wipe existing partition unless you told it to do. To recover boot-loader check this document

Than's for the advice, I'm off to bed bet right now, just got up to post a news flash about Libya that I got from my phone, then saw your response. I'll definitely check this out in the morning though. Thank you very much:)

@rubberman better read properly before you reply.

@1ML no idea why emulator is running so slow for you I have no problem on my pc (dual boot win 7 / ubuntu 10.10). However I do use IntelliJ instead of Eclipse. PS: You sure that partition was deleted? Windows normally moves boot-loader to it self, but it wouldn't wipe existing partition unless you told it to do. To recover boot-loader check this document

I was replying to the post immediately before my last one, so in that sense I think it was on topic, if not specific to the original posting of this thread.

Than's for the advice, I'm off to bed bet right now, just got up to post a news flash about Libya that I got from my phone, then saw your response. I'll definitely check this out in the morning though. Thank you very much:)

Sorry, accidentally down-checked this post - unfortunately, once you do that I don't know of a way to undo it... my bad!

Sorry, accidentally down-checked this post - unfortunately, once you do that I don't know of a way to undo it... my bad!

Yeah, unfortunately there is no way to cancel it even on an accidental click. I voted it back up to offset :)

I was replying to the post immediately before my last one, so in that sense I think it was on topic, if not specific to the original posting of this thread.

Still of topic as question was asked why it is running slower on Windows. Down voting my re-primal that you are going off topic is just lame...

Still of topic as question was asked why it is running slower on Windows. Down voting my re-primal that you are going off topic is just lame...

Lame, I agree, and apologize for my pique. Won't happen again, but you could cut folks a bit of slack in these regards. Just my 2cents worth.

No problem dude, sorry I was snappy, I was just in a bad mood because I hate being defeated by an SDK, especially a Java one :)

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to do all the development in Ubuntu Linux as it seam natural [Given that the Dalvik VM is implemented in a Linux kernel] I know there's some logic in there somewhere, but I can't quite put my finger on it yet :)

Good luck with everything

1ML

I've sorted out all the dual boot issues [apart from needing more space], so that's all cool to. Thank you to everyone who helped out, and sorry about the bad temper. Too much pressure, and a bit of a weird SDK/Architecture, but actually quite cool when you get in there and start things going :)

commented: That's what we like to hear ;) +16
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.