Dear all,

I'm learning now about Android app development. I feel really good at it, thanks to thenewboston tutorials over youtube.

I got a question, How do I change a pdf file to an app?
I looked all over the internet and all what I got is several websites with ready made apps that will do this to me at specific paid price. But I don't want that, I really want to do something with my hands I need to get dirty while coding and getting that successful feeling when I make it work!

Any tips where to start? Tutorials will be help too.

I'm familiar with these things:
1- Using XML
2- Programming in Java
3- I'm still at tutorial number 39, of thenewboston Android tutorials at youtube (200 tutorials total)

Thanks for the further help.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

How do I change a pdf file to an app?
>>You need to provider better problem description then this.

PS: My personal opinion, no youtube video can beat good old fashion book

How do I change a pdf file to an app?
>>You need to provider better problem description then this.

PS: My personal opinion, no youtube video can beat good old fashion book

Sorry if this wasn't clear enough.

Anyways, thanks for trying to help. I figured it out, first I need to change PDF to set of images then use these images to make an app that will be able to preview them.

Thanks again.

PS: To be honest, I hate reading and I find youtube/other resources much helpful.

You just made over kill. There is easier way to work with PDFs then open+conver+display in application. See this simple example

PS: I bet that you are one of these people that rather see movie of the book then reading it, like Lord of the Rings. Movies been great but book is even greater ;)

You just made over kill. There is easier way to work with PDFs then open+conver+display in application. See this simple example

PS: I bet that you are one of these people that rather see movie of the book then reading it, like Lord of the Rings. Movies been great but book is even greater ;)

I hope there is a way! I will look at the link you gave me, as I'm working now of a project hopefully I will be done soon from it. Then I will have the time to read the link you posted.

So, thank you so much :) If you got more tutorial on that please do post them, it will be much helpful for me and others.

PS: Actually I'm an author who writes books. I wanted to provide my books in android market so they told me I need to make them as Apps to make the market accept them. So, I started learning Android Development. So much fun

I just saw this post, I've seen it actually while I was searching before posting this topic.

It is kinda annoying to make your PDF depends on other PDF viewers, the user might don't want to install the PDF viewer so it is kinda forcing him for something.. I don't know.

I will try to compile the app and see how it is working. I might change my mind and use it ;d

Thank you so much my friend :)

As far I know from 2.3.0 or similar version PDF viewer is available on most of devices since they want to be direct competitors for Kindle and other e-book readers

As far I know from 2.3.0 or similar version PDF viewer is available on most of devices since they want to be direct competitors for Kindle and other e-book readers

I was talking to a friend, and we were discussing the same issue.
He said exactly the same, like most of the devices nowadays they support PDF viewer.
Actually, when I bought my Galaxy Note it comes inside it the Adobe Acrobat reader which is good.

You know now days you hardly find device running bellow 2.3. Beside when you write your application you should always include minimum required level so when user try to install it he/she is warned. Second level of defence is to on application start up check if you have access to all resources that you need. If something missing just pop-up message "Sorry can't use app missing XYZ"

You know now days you hardly find device running bellow 2.3. Beside when you write your application you should always include minimum required level so when user try to install it he/she is warned. Second level of defence is to on application start up check if you have access to all resources that you need. If something missing just pop-up message "Sorry can't use app missing XYZ"

Exactly, but there is somehow a problem with the code given in that link:

File file = new File("/sdcard/example.pdf");

What if I want the apk package to contain my pdf book so that the app requires the user to only download the pdfviewer!!!

Should I put the pdf under "res/raw" folder? Will it work?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.