Member Avatar for sanjeewa.abeywardana

For a mobile application development project what would be the best data communication technology ?
is it web service project is better or WCF application project ?
any clear reasons are also welcome

Thanks
Sanjeewa

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You need to explain more in details what sort of data management/transfer you need. Often simple server request with return of JSON object is good approach

hmmm... JSON objects , nice , thanks
about the explanation, lets say the database is there while the web application is written to access the data, THAT PART IS OK .

So the other users access the same data from mobile UI and me as the developer use the same methods in the data layer to get the data to the mobile users as well.
For this i normally use Web services, but WCF applications are there for what purpose , I have heard that it is extended version of the web services , so rather than use Web services, can I use WCF applications? .

This is what I really want to know as I'm in the beginning of the project

Thanks

Sanjeewa

Sorry Windows development is not my forte

oh, others are also welcome to response

My knowledge on WCF is limited. But I think WCF supports REST/AJAX, which will not pack the data inside a complex SOAP headers or XML. For communicating with mobile its better to keep the data small as the network latency on phone is high. It does not matter what backend you are using, always keep your communication data simple and small which improves your performance on mobile. Hope this answers your question.

Ok, I got some idea , so this post is partially solved

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.