Member Avatar for arcticM

Hi! I just started 2 days ago learning android app development from a book..
after about half a day of trying to add the android plugins and what not to Eclipse it finally worked but I have the following problem:
the virtual imulator device doesn't show my updated code. like, if I add or change something in my code (and save it), when I run the code and the imulator opens up (besides the fact that it takes forever) it shows me the old code.. I really don't know what to do to refresh it, I just keep working on my code without running it and sometimes on the 10th try to run it I suddenly see the updated version.. so this is a huge problem.
Since installing the android things on Eclipse took many tries to successed, I'm guessing something doesn't match something else, but 1. I'm afraid that if I'll remove everything and try to install it again it won't work at all, and 2. I have no idea what is the problem since I did everything like people show in tutorials..
I can't be the only one struggling with Eclipse so I wanted to know if there are other (better) tools to use for developing android apps? I'm sure there are, but I'm looking for something free, and simple to install and setup.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You need to uninstall your app from emulator. Real device is more flexible with updates of app

Member Avatar for shruthi_k

Hi,
Rather than uninstalling your app from emulator,
Best thing what i can suggest is...
* Create new virtual device (emulator)
* And run your updated code in newly created virtual device
This problem is common in virtual device so connect real device
and run your code. "Download and install kies to connent real device".

Hi,
Rather than uninstalling your app from emulator,
Best thing what i can suggest is...
* Create new virtual device (emulator)

And you will do this for every new install, one hell of dumb idea. If you know how to use build tools you can actually remove previous installs before putting newone in.

• And run your updated code in newly created virtual device
    This problem is common in virtual device so connect real device
    and run your code. "Download and install kies to connent real device".

Kies is only for Samsung devices so what if poster has HTC? Well no need for Kies as HTC doesn't need sync application. Also you will not need Kies at all on Unix system like Ubuntu.

Conclusion, you are Windows user with minimum background in comercial development...

Member Avatar for arcticM

I'm just used to clicking F5 and seeing all the changes in the browser, I didn't realize that it's not working this way with android code...
anyways, I found a way that works- I keep the emulator open and just click run again and choose the one that is open, and that refreshes it.
very slow but works..

Haha on F5. Just keep in mind that even that may not be 100% safe solution. IDEs have sometimes old cache data on project

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.