Hey guys, i am developing an android app using Java, using eclipse on a windows PC. The building of the app started off very well, and we managed to get a working prototype working on a android phone using the USB debugging option.

I have come across a big problem which is holding everything up. There are buttons on the main screen, which are supposed to navigate to other screens, the only problem is that i don't know how to do it. Can anyone help? you would be a life saver if you can!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

i am developing it in eclipse, would that make any difference to the way its coded?

I'm a new developer, but to my best knowledge it shouldn't matter if you're using Eclipse. Android uses java syntax and structure, but that is about it. Google developed the Android API which has its own unique features and approach.

ok fair enough, but still do you know how to change between screens? Ive been on various websites supposedly telling me how to do it, but all i get is code errors.

Yes, I know how to do it. I'm just trying to understand where you're at in the process. You have a class for the initial screen with an accompanying xml file right? If so have you created 3 additional classes with 3 xml files?

Starting new activity all you need to know

@peter_budu, that's a great explanation. The official site is a great place to start/reference. I still haven't read it all the way through. So I think those who haven't can and will benefit from checking it out.

thanks guys, ill look into this, much appreciated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.