Hello i have a website and i want to make it an app. I use php and mysql. What is the best way to start?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What have you done so far? I have developed PHP/MySQL applications (for internal purposes at Nokia). Making it an application? What does it do? Does it serve a rational purpose? Please describe what it does, and how it does it.

I ve done some files with Adobe Flash Builder for PHP with Zend Framework that runs with Adobe Air. But i ve been told that Android and IOS apps dont support Flash Player. Basically i already knew that but thats another thing that i am using right? Or Android and Iphone dont support Java?
This is some script i ve done far. It connects with the database and displays users, user info, create a new user and so on.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> 
<s:View xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
        xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"
        xmlns:employeeservice="services.employeeservice.*"
        title="HomeView"> 
    <fx:Script>
        <![CDATA[
            import mx.events.FlexEvent;
            import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;

import spark.events.IndexChangeEvent;

protected function empList_creationCompleteHandler(event:FlexEvent):void
            {
                getEmployeesSummaryResult.token = employeeService.getEmployeesSummary();
            }

protected function doSearch(event:Event):void 
            {
                this.addElement(busyIndicator);
                if (searchTxt.text != '')
                {
                    getEmployeesSummaryResult.token = employeeService.getEmployeesByName(searchTxt.text);
                    this.addElement(busyIndicator);
                }
                else
                {
                    getEmployeesSummaryResult.token = employeeService.getEmployeesSummary();    
                }
            }

protected function searchTxt_focusInHandler(event:FocusEvent):void
            {
                getEmployeesSummaryResult.token = employeeService.getEmployeesByName(searchTxt.text); 

}
            protected function getEmployeesSummaryResult_resultHandler(event:ResultEvent):void
            { 
                this.removeElement(busyIndicator); 
            }

protected function empList_changeHandler(event:IndexChangeEvent):void
            {
                navigator.pushView(DetailView,empList.selectedItem.uid);
            }

]]>
    </fx:Script>
    <fx:Declarations>
        <s:CallResponder id="getEmployeesSummaryResult" result="getEmployeesSummaryResult_resultHandler(event)"/>
        <employeeservice:EmployeeService id="employeeService"/>
        <s:CallResponder id="getEmployeesSummaryResult2"/>
    </fx:Declarations>
    <s:titleContent> 
        <s:TextInput id="searchTxt" enter="doSearch(event)" prompt="Employee Name" width="100%" focusIn="searchTxt_focusInHandler(event)"/> 
    </s:titleContent> 
    <s:actionContent> 
        <s:Button id="searchBtn" click="doSearch(event)"> 
            <s:icon> 
                <s:MultiDPIBitmapSource source160dpi="@Embed('assets/search160.png')" 
                                        source240dpi="@Embed('assets/search240.png')" 
                                        source320dpi="@Embed('assets/search320.png')"/> 
            </s:icon> 
        </s:Button> 
        <s:Button id="addBtn"> 
            <s:icon> 
                <s:MultiDPIBitmapSource source160dpi="@Embed('assets/add160.png')" 
                                        source240dpi="@Embed('assets/add240.png')" 
                                        source320dpi="@Embed('assets/add320.png')"/> 
            </s:icon> 
        </s:Button> 
    </s:actionContent> 
    <s:List id="empList" left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0" change="empList_changeHandler(event)"
            creationComplete="empList_creationCompleteHandler(event)">
        <s:AsyncListView list="{getEmployeesSummaryResult.lastResult}"/>
        <s:itemRenderer>
            <fx:Component>
                <s:IconItemRenderer iconHeight="50" iconWidth="50" 
                                    messageField="email"
                                    labelFunction="getEmployeeName" iconFunction="getPhotoProfile">
                    <fx:Script>
                        <![CDATA[
                            private function getPhotoProfile(item:Object):String
                            {
                                return "http://localhost/TestDrive/user_profile_uploads/" + item.profile_pic;
                            }
                            private function getEmployeeName(item:Object):String
                            {
                                return item.username + " " + item.bio;
                            }
                        ]]>
                    </fx:Script>
                </s:IconItemRenderer>
            </fx:Component>
        </s:itemRenderer>
    </s:List>
    <s:BusyIndicator id="busyIndicator" verticalCenter="0" horizontalCenter="0" symbolColor="red"/>
</s:View>

Our website is www.rovespier.com
a social utility for people that are involved with art and their Fellow Artists.

@SimonIoa can we please keep discussion to single thread???

As I said in other thread I would not recommend Flash based appplication as it is not supported by Android neither iPhone. However you can do HTML 5, CSS and JavaScript and use stuff like cordova which should help you to create hybrid app that will run on both platforms(Android and iOS). Otherwise you need to do native development.

ok thanks i got it. Any link of how to start?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.