Hi, I have just had a project thrown in my lap and all I know is that it is written in Pascal (The files have the extension .PAS)
I am trying to find a suitable IDE to open the project so I downloaded Bloodshed Dev-Pascal IDE but it does not open the project.

How can I tell which IDE was used to create this application? Can I look in certain files to find out this info?

I am new to Pascal but have experience in Visual C++ and C#.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Harry

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I noticed that in the directory there is two copies of each file. One has a .DFM extension and the other a .PAS extension.
Is the DFM a delphi Form file? Do I need to be looking for delphi IDEs? (I am new to that too)

Thanks again.

Harry

.DPR (delphi project) is what you're after; you will need Delphi to work easily with this project.

yes its a delphi project. I dont think delphi is free by the way. Check borlands site.

DFM files hold the properties for the form....the pas has the programming/code that goes with that form. Even if there is no DPR file (meaning that it is a project) the forms can be pulled together into a new project....but you will need Delphi to do it.
Even then, if the original programmer used components not shipped with Delphi, you are going to have to do some work to get it to compile.

Is the DFM a delphi Form file? Do I need to be looking for delphi IDEs? (I am new to that too)

Thanks again.

Harry

yes its a delphi project. I dont think delphi is free by the way. Check borlands site.

There is a free version of Delphi, Turbo Explorer, but you can't add in outside components. Check http://turboexplorer.com/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.