This is the order in which I learned to program:

Basic
QBasic
Pascal
C
C++
Java
Perl

A very important point should be noted about learning in that order: I learned procedural programming first, and I recommend this course to any new programmer. Learn C (or Pascal or some other procedural language) first. Then move to the object-oriented stuff (like C++, Java, and Perl). First, the procedural parts of object-oriented languages like Perl will be a cinch, and second, object-orientation will come much more easily. Also, learning rudimentary languages like PHP and VBS is a cinch after all that.

As for learning Perl, it’s a bitch. There’s probably ten times as much to learn for Perl than there is for Java—and not quite that much more than for C++. Perl is not for the faint of heart. Of course, the great thing about Perl is that you can just learn what is familiar to you and use that. You don’t have to learn everything about Perl to use it. "

are all those free., were can i get tutorials for them, and can they be written on windows 98. Ill use that advice + do i need to know html to write those? cause if i do, ill dive deeper QUICKER. lol. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

As a quick answer to your question, perl is a shell scripting language for Unix. With a lot of work you can use Apache for Windows and run perl scripts as a backend to websites. However, it's not a language to develop software programs in.

For each of thse languages you need a compiler for that language. Of the languages posted, free compilers / IDEs are available, though mostly for unix/linux based operating systems.

what unix/linux you recomend, i got a dozen diff at my home already.. Fedora 2, redhat 9, suse 9.1, debian, and i think a few more. but i have problems with debian, cause i dotn understand how to boot up with GRUB, and 2, for suse, i cant get it to configure my router.

my my real question is what do i need html for in those above..perl c, ect....

+ are they all free

As a quick answer to your question, perl is a shell scripting language for Unix. With a lot of work you can use Apache for Windows and run perl scripts as a backend to websites.

perhaps i misunderstood....but what about the windows implementation of perl?

and it doesnt take a lot of work(for the websites). most of it has been done for you. check out Mason. once that's installed it basically lets you use perl as a backend for your website.

Perl's actually a scripting language for a number of platforms. It might have its roots in Unix, but it has been extended to work with Windows, Pre and Post OS X Macs, and it even works on DOS, Amigas, and BeOS. There are tons of other platforms, too!

Just so you know, you can use Perl to do application development, just like you can do with Python, another scripting language. I don't know about how quick it is for doing it, or whether you'd want to do it, but I know it can be done.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.