Hello, I am relatively new with Python and Pygame, however, I am an experienced PHPer, so programming isn't something new to me. My problem is this: I got Python 2.4 installed and Pygame 1.6 for Python 2.4 installed. I know Pygame works because I can make calls to the Pygame modules.

My problem is, when I try to open a window through Pygame using

screen = pygame.display.set_mode((468, 60))

it opens a window, but then lags, and finally crashes and I have to use the oh-so-lovable Crtl-Alt-Del to kill it. I can't figure this out. If I use Tkinter to open windows, they open and execute just fine. The problem only persists with Pygame. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The mode you are trying to set in ...

screen = pygame.display.set_mode((468, 60))

is really not very close to any recognizable mode. Pygame does search for the closest possible mode, but may be overtaxed in this case!

So I try this:

>>> pygame.display.set_mode((320, 240))
<Surface(320x240x32 SW)>

And it produces a window which hangs again. Any size crashes. Could it be a problem with my computer maybe?

What is your computer and operating system? Which version of Python and PyGame have you installed?

Come to think of it, in a 32bit mode the odd sizes shouldn't be a problem, at least on a XP box. How is the result (screen) used?

Follow the trail and make a sub-program of the calls.

It has been my experience that a number of the PyGame examples on the internet are faulty at best. For instance get_rect() is often given a parameter, doesn't like it!

I have done some work with the Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) library using C++, not much work with PyGame's SDL.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.