Greetings to Everyone :cool: ,

I just would like to know how to run/launch/start the IDLE ide of python in linux? (In windows the IDLE ide comes part of the python download, I assume its the same for linux??! or not?!)

I currently have installed ubuntu linux, its already got python 2.4, and i can run the python interactive mode, but how do I run the IDLE ide?

I've tried running command/s at the shell - idle, idle-python2.4 but to no avail. Hopefully someone can enlighten me, pleeeaase!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi!

You have to install idle first (via apt-get or synaptic) ;) The dependency package is called idle, the current one idle-python2.4.

Regards, mawe

There is a cheater way. You need to (this is very important):

cd into your idlelib directory
run: python PyShell.py

It raises an error if you havnt cd-d into idlelib

Hi!

You have to install idle first (via apt-get or synaptic) ;) The dependency package is called idle, the current one idle-python2.4.

Regards, mawe

@ mawe :cool:

thanks, I got IDLE running already(by synaptic), i just got ubuntu linux installed recently, and just well,...assumed that the IDLE came with python installed already, like it is with the python windows download, anyways thanks problem solved!

Fedora:
sudo yum install python-tools

or

Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install idle

well here is a thought. sudo apt-get install idle . that should work. yo know.

well here is a thought

Well here is an other thought,read the date of the thread Feb 26th, 2006
So maybe 5 years later NetByte now it,or have given up python years ago:confused:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.