Hi everyone,

I am having trouble comprehending or digesting the programming mentality. I'm learning Python and while I completely understand the syntax as well as the language itself, my problem is more toward the comprehension of thinking like a programmer. For example, once a programming exercise is explained, it all makes sense. However, if I'm asked to do an exercise, I cannot quite get every step down to what I should be doing.

Does anyone have any suggestions, recommended reading, or the like?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

However, if I'm asked to do an exercise, I cannot quite get every step down to what I should be doing.

It is because what you should be doing is not determined solely by the problem to solve or the peculiarities of the language. The largest part is determined by the tools at your disposal. It means the hundreds of functions in the standard library and third-party libraries. You need to learn that such or such function or class is the tool to use to solve such or such problem. Only time and experience can teach you that. You learn to know the tools by using them often.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.