lalamax3d 0 Newbie Poster

Hi Everyone.
History:
i am self taught developer (5 years + ). mostly doing simple automations in 3dsmax / foundy nuke, maya etc. i worked at a studio (film / animation) as Technical Artist. My weaker side is (server / client). i have done basic sockets tutorials etc to send simple msgs / chat. done enough Search on topic and almost ready to start.
PROBLEM:
i need to create DAM(Data Asset Management) system for my studio for smoother production. as first step, all artist tools have basic capability built (ready). some ppl call it PAS (Production Asset management) or pipeline as well. If you (reader) less aware of such systems then few links below for solutions available and my comments
SHOT GUN (industry standard) expensive for us
SouthPaw TACTIC (open source) too big for us, they charge 3000 U.S $ for 1 week consultancy setup etc,
Blender BAM (open source) currently Alpha 3 only dedicated with blender, but can be additionally integrated with other apps
STALKER (opensource) base python framework, 90% suitable for us >> (built by another small studio) very similar requirements. having issues in setting it up.
ANIMA (open source) its interface on top of stalker, awesome, built by same studio, (not documented) almost impossible to setup.

REQUIREMENTS:
20 ppl team(artists) on NETWORK. (clients).
they need to connect to server which shows projects (from database) , each project contains sequences / shots
server shows them tasks as well, which they can work on. each task contain details of shots / assets etc, ideally client should take relevant files from server and copy on local pc (artist) which he / she can commit later on (via client)... i have details for data base planned out about what needs to be stored in each table and data mapping etc.

GUIDANCE PART:
all the search and research in last few weeks, i have also found TWISTED and TORNADO etc...(earlier is more relevant).
1, i have invested enough time in tactic at some point and was almost comfortable. my only problem is, understanding repository concept or storage. for small companies like us, each project is few weeks of max few months long, client typically gives us massive footage (few hundred GB's) we typically put in a shared folder (mount etc) so artist can pick assigned shot from there and work on etc. in my findings, i have to upload / copy all data to its repository(server) ideally i think, its unfair. there may be some solution, but i am unable to find it.
2- i prefer not to write from scratch, so STALKER is too good, almost perfect. except it confuses my few definitions about running server and clients connecting to it (with web or without web). plus how to configure db and config for team etc. orignal team has done that part in anima which is not very well documented. etc
3- if i have to do all that from scratch, i have done lot of search, to me, it seems "TWISTED" is best solution for what i am looking base framework. is it.?? is it really?? can i create server and client in it, which can connect on LAN (TCP) without web and all data (shown in custom UI , pyqt) which i am really comfortable with. this is how they have done in anima as well. plus 1 additional reluctancy is, clients have to copy lot of data (i.e 2 GB per shot, 200 files) in his computer, should i setup FTP protocol for that and normal TCP for basic query / information exchange.

in all that dissappointment, only hope i have is, i have preparred my requirements well, i know exactly where to put data in DB or file structure (mounts) etc..

if anyone in this magical community can find sometime in reading and answering based on his / her knowledgebase, i'll be extremely greatful for guidance.
thanks,haseeb