Good day guys,

I've been developing softwares in different languages. But, I don't fully understand when to
use a specific language where I can fully utilize it's ability.

For example (C#.NET vs VB.NET),

• When to use C#.NET over VB.NET and vice versa?

• What are the projects that can be done on C#.NET but cannot
    be achieved using VB.NET and vice versa?

• What are the pros and cons in using either languages?

Someone please help.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Think there are not so many differences, except for the syntax.I like the syntax of C#. The syntax of VB looks weird and ugly to me, but that is a personal opinion.

Are you using c#? For example, I'm creating a system. Let's say an INVENTORY SYSTEM. Where would you do that? In vb or in c#?

In C#. Also like C#, because in C# a boolean is a boolean and a string is a string.Etc.

Yea. That's right. So, In your opinion.. C# is much better than VB. Hmm. Thanks pal :)

But I guess, professionally you will find much more VB implementations out there. Mainly due to the fact(just a guess of me) that e.g. Excel uses VBA for macro programming, which is a language very similar to VB.NET.

I'm quite confuse :)

I don't think there's any application that can be exclusively coded in either one. Personally, I use VB.NET because I'm much more used to the Basic syntax (I coded in Basic to run microprocessors).

Same here scudzilla, I prefer Basic syntax. It's just that I want to learn something new.

It's just that I want to learn something new.

Then don't hesitate to pick up C#, you won't regret it.

As for the differences look here

C# and VB.NET have different syntax and that is mainly where the differences end (there are some slight differences in programming constructs). Both of these languages are part of the same .NET Framework platform. C# and VB both compile to the same intermediate language (IL), which runs against the same .NET Framework runtime libraries. Almost every command in VB has an equivalent command in C# and vice versa. As a result, a program written in either language can be translated to the other.

Some people will like C# while others will like VB. It depends on what you started with. Those that program in C or Java will naturally like C#... those of us who grew up with BASIC will be more comfortable with VB.

Those that program in C or Java will naturally like C#... those of us who grew up with BASIC will be more comfortable with VB.

I grew up with good old BASIC and did some VBA. As a profession I programmed in Modula-2 for a while(1985-1993).
Now I love C#, although that is a bit of an overstatement of course. ;)

I'm moving over the C# as well...ever since i became interested in web development. Once I was exposed to JavaScript, I liked the syntax. My brain is still wired for Basic though so it takes work to think in C# syntax.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.