I am creating a update member page. I would like the page to auto retrieve the information he or she originally used while registering on my site and display them into the individual textboxes of the update profile page, this is to prevent the hassle to rekey in every individual details and allow the user to edit what he or she wants before it is updated into the database.

The problem that I encountered was not able to update the changes in the database. When key in the latest data in address text box and hit submit button, the old data in address text box remains and did not update the database

Imports System.Data
Imports System.Data.SqlClient
Imports System.Web.Configuration

Partial Class UpdateEmployeeDetails
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

Label1.Text = Session("Employee_ID")
        updaterecords()

End Sub

Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Dim myConnection As SqlConnection
        Dim myCommand As SqlCommand
        Try
            myConnection = New SqlConnection("data source=.\SQLEXPRESS; initial catalog=Human_Resource_Management;" & "integrated security=true")
            myConnection.Open()
            myCommand = New SqlCommand("Update Employee_DB Set Address = '" & Address.Text & "' where Employee_ID = '3344'", myConnection)
            myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

MsgBox("Record has been updated")
            myConnection.Close()

Catch exception As SqlException
            MsgBox("Failed")
        End Try

End Sub

Function updaterecords() As String
        Dim connetionString As String
        Dim sqlCnn As SqlConnection
        Dim sqlCmd As SqlCommand
        Dim sql As String

Dim DBConn As New SqlConnection("data source=.\SQLEXPRESS; initial catalog=Human_Resource_Management;" & "integrated security=true")
        Dim DBCmd As New SqlCommand
        DBConn.Open()
        connetionString = "data source=.\SQLEXPRESS; initial catalog=Human_Resource_Management;" & "integrated security=true"
        sql = "Select * from Employee_DB where Employee_ID = '" & Session("Employee_ID") & "'"
        sqlCnn = New SqlConnection(connetionString)

sqlCnn.Open()
        sqlCmd = New SqlCommand(sql, sqlCnn)
        Dim sqlReader As SqlDataReader = sqlCmd.ExecuteReader()
        While sqlReader.Read()

Label1.Text = Session("Employee_ID")
            Label2.Text = sqlReader.Item(3)
            Session("sqlReader.Item(2)") = Address.Text

End While

End Function
End Class

Hi
Does the user you are connecting to the database to have update permission on the Employee_DB table?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.