Hello,
The title of this thread perhaps does not explain my problem correctly.
Actually i am developing a financial software for a company.The software is similar to a banking system. The software is being developed using VB 2008 and SQL Server 2008.The company has its branches located at different locations. They are having a centralized SQL Server at their Head Office. The branches are connected to Head Office using a VPN.Now what we are worried about is when the VPN gets disconnected.For that we will be having a SQL server installed at each of the branches.When VPN is connected the the details entered will be directly at the Head Office database,Meanwhile a program will be executed which will get details from the Head Office database at each of the branches in a XML file.
When a branch gets disconnected from the VPN another program will get the XML details into the Sql Server installed at the branch. When the branch is connected again Another application will create a xml file from the local server and insert its details into the HO server.The sizes of the XML are reaching upto around 150 to 200 mb. I am using Dataset.WriteXML and Dataset.ReadXMl. I have tested this on my local machine it is taking upto 30-40 secs.I dont know how much it will take when the actual application is installed. How can i speed things up ? Does anyone have any idea on how i can do the whole process more smoothly and faster?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

P.S. I forgot to mention it is a windows application.

Member Avatar for Unhnd_Exception

It wont be much faster when installed.

Why does it matter if it takes 30?

It wont be much faster when installed.

Why does it matter if it takes 30?

Well if the VPN goes up and down constantly then delay might be a problem.

And to be very honest.I am not sure about the process is there any other way than using XML files ?

Member Avatar for Unhnd_Exception

The data will have to get serialized and deserialized in some fashion. Xml is a pretty good thing. Maybe try to break the process down into smaller pieces. There could be a temp data store on the HO server that was constantly feed with smaller pieces of the data from the remote servers and the HO server could keep reading until it was empty. Can't answer it for you. Maybe give you a different angle.

What you want is database Replication. You can read all about doing this with SQL Server right here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.