So, I'm making a program that has a "Print" button. I want it to open a PrintDialog, let the user select the printer they want to use, and print the contents in the RichTextBox/TextBox.
I was thinking about this:

Print.RichTextBox1.Text(PrintDialog1)

But it didn't work.
I also tried:

PrintDialog1.RichTextBox1()

Those came up with errors.

So, how do I do this? Please help, and thanks in advanced!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Sorry if I'm so stupid in this, because I'm below 12 and I just started VB a month ago, so, what do I copy? :(

Open the links that i provide and get some info from there.

Hey VBrulzed The following code is for asp.net try it.

Step 1: Create a PrintHelper class. This class contains a method called PrintWebControl that can print any control like a GridView, DataGrid, Panel, TextBox etc. The class makes a call to window.print() that simulates the print button.

Note: I have not written this class and neither do I know the original author. I will be happy to add a reference in case someone knows.

Imports System
Imports System.Data
Imports System.Configuration
Imports System.Web
Imports System.Web.Security
Imports System.Web.UI
Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls
Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts
Imports System.Web.UI.HtmlControls
Imports System.IO
Imports System.Text
Imports System.Web.SessionState

Public Class PrintHelper
    Public Sub New()
    End Sub

Public Shared Sub PrintWebControl(ByVal ctrl As Control)
        PrintWebControl(ctrl, String.Empty)
    End Sub

Public Shared Sub PrintWebControl(ByVal ctrl As Control, ByVal Script As String)
        Dim stringWrite As StringWriter = New StringWriter()
        Dim htmlWrite As System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter = New System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter(stringWrite)
        If TypeOf ctrl Is WebControl Then
            Dim w As Unit = New Unit(100, UnitType.Percentage)
            CType(ctrl, WebControl).Width = w
        End If
        Dim pg As Page = New Page()
        pg.EnableEventValidation = False
        If Script <> String.Empty Then
            pg.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(pg.GetType(), "PrintJavaScript", Script)
        End If
        Dim frm As HtmlForm = New HtmlForm()
        pg.Controls.Add(frm)
        frm.Attributes.Add("runat", "server")
        frm.Controls.Add(ctrl)
        pg.DesignerInitialize()
        pg.RenderControl(htmlWrite)
        Dim strHTML As String = stringWrite.ToString()
        HttpContext.Current.Response.Clear()
        HttpContext.Current.Response.Write(strHTML)
        HttpContext.Current.Response.Write("<script>window.print();</script>")
        HttpContext.Current.Response.End()
    End Sub
End Class

Step 2: Create two pages, Default.aspx and Print.aspx. Default.aspx will contain the controls to be printed. Print.aspx will act as a popup page to invoke the print functionality.

Step 3: In your Default.aspx, drag and drop a few controls that you would like to print. To print a group of controls, place them all in a container control like a panel. This way if we print the panel using our PrintHelper class, all the controls inside the panel gets printed.

Step 4: Add a print button to the Default.aspx and in the code behind, type the following code:

Protected Sub btnPrint_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPrint.Click
        Session("ctrl") = Panel1
        ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType(), "onclick", "<script language=javascript>window.open('Print.aspx','PrintMe','height=300px,width=300px,scrollbars=1');</script>")
End Sub

The code stores the control in a Session variable to be accessed in the pop up page, Print.aspx. If you want to print directly on button click, call the Print functionality in the following manner :

PrintHelper.PrintWebControl(Panel1);

Step 5: In the Page_Load event of Print.aspx.cs, add the following code:

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
        Dim ctrl As Control = CType(Session("ctrl"), Control)
        PrintHelper.PrintWebControl(ctrl)
End Sub

Well that’s it. Let me know if this help u solve your problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.