I have a program that must copy a file to 3 locations, the local hard disk, a USB drive, and a network location. I have the file (about 70mb) loaded into a byte array. My quesion is, since I'm not actively modifying the byte array, can I impliment a form of multithreading where all 3 threads read the same byte array at the same time?

Member Avatar for Unhnd_Exception

Heres the directions for thread safety on the array class:

Thread Safety
Public static (Shared in Visual Basic) members of this type are thread safe. Any instance members are not guaranteed to be thread safe.

This implementation does not provide a synchronized (thread safe) wrapper for an Array; however, .NET Framework classes based on Array provide their own synchronized version of the collection using the SyncRoot property.

Enumerating through a collection is intrinsically not a thread-safe procedure. Even when a collection is synchronized, other threads can still modify the collection, which causes the enumerator to throw an exception. To guarantee thread safety during enumeration, you can either lock the collection during the entire enumeration or catch the exceptions resulting from changes made by other threads.

From reading that it looks like you would be ok as long as you didn't modify the array.

I put together an example to test and everything appears ok.

Option Strict On

Public Class Form1
    Private ByteArrayToReadFrom(40000) As Byte
    Private Delegate Sub SaveByteArrayDelegate(ByVal fileCount As Integer)

Sub New()

' This call is required by the Windows Form Designer.
        InitializeComponent()
        Randomize()
        ' Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call.
        For i = 0 To UBound(ByteArrayToReadFrom)
            ByteArrayToReadFrom(i) = CByte(Rnd() * 255)
        Next
    End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Dim Thread1 As SaveByteArrayDelegate
        Dim Thread2 As SaveByteArrayDelegate
        Dim Thread3 As SaveByteArrayDelegate
        Dim FileCount As Integer

For i = 1 To 1000
            Thread1 = New SaveByteArrayDelegate(AddressOf SaveByteArray)
            Thread2 = New SaveByteArrayDelegate(AddressOf SaveByteArray)
            Thread3 = New SaveByteArrayDelegate(AddressOf SaveByteArray)

Thread1.BeginInvoke(FileCount + 1, Nothing, Nothing)
            Thread2.BeginInvoke(FileCount + 2, Nothing, Nothing)
            Thread3.BeginInvoke(FileCount + 3, Nothing, Nothing)
            FileCount += 3
        Next

End Sub

Private Sub SaveByteArray(ByVal fileCount As Integer)
        Try
            My.Computer.FileSystem.WriteAllBytes(My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.MyDocuments & "\Garbage\File" & fileCount & ".txt", ByteArrayToReadFrom, False)
        Catch ex As Exception

End Try
    End Sub

End Class
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.