I have developed a system which should be accessed remotely. the system reads sql credentials from a notepad file to authenticate to the remote sql server. however, when trying to connect, the system says: "request for odbc permission failed". but if i put the application on the client machine together with the application, it connects to the remote machine. what is the cause for failure if the application and the configuration file is put on the server and invoked remotely by creating a short-cut to the application to client machines?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Member Avatar for stbuchok

Have you allowed remote connections on the database?

I have developed a system which should be accessed remotely. the system reads sql credentials from a notepad file to authenticate to the remote sql server. however, when trying to connect, the system says: "request for odbc permission failed". but if i put the application on the client machine together with the application, it connects to the remote machine. what is the cause for failure if the application and the configuration file is put on the server and invoked remotely by creating a short-cut to the application to client machines?

I don't really understand what you've created and how you plan to use it, but if I understand correctly your last sentense you are running your program through the network. I can't offer much help without knowing what exactly it is that you are doing, but a possible error could be the way you are accessing the text file you mention.
For some reason I bet that you are using a fixed path to find your file and that you either don't have access to the file (did you lock it for security?) or the path is a local path, since like you say the program runs ok when in the client pc, together with the file.

Please explain your setup and show us your code, in order to get a clear picture.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.