Hi Coders,

Once again I feel I need your help/assistance.

I have been trawling the net and forums for a simple way of automatically updating a newer version of my application from a network share. Everything I have read pertains to an update from a web site.

This is possibly a simple thing to do but as I have 6-8 users using the application I have to email them all stating there is a new version on the share and for them to copy and overwrite the existing application executable in the program files\app directory.

If this could be done on launching the program within the splash screen that would be fantastic.

Any help or pointers on this would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have no idea(s) regarding "network.share", though here is a suggestion.
Have a small sidekick.app installed on each user's p.c., that does the "copy and overwrite the existing application executable in the program files\app directory".

I'm not sure how systems work with network.sharing, though there should be a folder somewhere, where everyone can access it.
If it does, load a simple .txt file in there, saying that there is a new.version and load your updated.exe in there also.

If their app. finds this file, Then to load the little sidekick.app, close it's self, and have the sidekick app do all the leg.work.

I have no idea(s) regarding "network.share", though here is a suggestion.
Have a small sidekick.app installed on each user's p.c., that does the "copy and overwrite the existing application executable in the program files\app directory".

I'm not sure how systems work with network.sharing, though there should be a folder somewhere, where everyone can access it.
If it does, load a simple .txt file in there, saying that there is a new.version and load your updated.exe in there also.

If their app. finds this file, Then to load the little sidekick.app, close it's self, and have the sidekick app do all the leg.work.

Agree with codeorder. Get the users to always launch program1. If the shared folder is empty, then program2 is launched, if the folder contains a file, this file overwrites program2, then program2 is launched.
Keep program1 as simple as possible so you don't have to update that as well
toomutch

Hi,

Managed to write an updater yesterday anlong the same lines as codeorder before I even saw the reply :o)

The way it works is I put the new version on the share and have a version text file that I put the build version number in.

When the updater is run it checks to see if the main app ir running and gives the option to kill it if it is, then it reads the text file and get's the version of the application on the local drive and compares the two. If the text version is higher it copies the old version to a folder and adds the version number to the file name and then copies the new version across then starts the main application.

Simples...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.