Hello my fellow Danniwebbers, I have yet another question for you to ponder.

I have two custom action listers. One that handles Mouse.Click and one that handles Mouse.MouseDown.

My question to you is, can I delay the mouse down event so that it does not intefere with the code of the Mouse.Click event?

I have tried adding a timer and waiting x amount then setting a bool value to true, but the code executes to fast and it skips the other code.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Begginnerdev

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Why not skip the MouseDown event all together and move that code into a method that you call at the end of execution in the MouseClick event?

It is basicly control relocation code. User clicks/holds left mouse > drag > release.

Alright.
Then you can probably add a boolean variable that checks wether or not the mousebutton has been released.
And if so, exit from the MouseDown event.
I don't know if this is going to work. I've never tried it myself, but it should give you some ideas.

Private Sub control_MouseDown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As MouseEventArgs) Handles control.MouseDown
    If bMouseClicked = True Then Return

'The original MouseDown code
End Sub

Private Sub control.MouseClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As MouseEventArgs) Handles control.MouseClick
    bMouseClicked = e.Clicks > 0
End Sub

I have tried, but the interpreter skips the code. :(
I have found an article that said the .NET events are supposedly fired in the following order

MouseDown
Click
MouseUp

Which completely destroys my code setup. I need to be able to click to referece the control, and mousedown/up to drag the control to where I need it to be.

Member Avatar for Unhnd_Exception

This will do a "click" and a "mouse drag". I think thats what your looking for.

This doesn't use the mouseclick event but simulates a mouseclick in the mouse up. You would need to put your mouseclick code in the mouseup shown below.

Private MouseMoved As Boolean
 Private MoveOffset As Point

Private Sub Button2_MouseDown(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) Handles Button2.MouseDown

If e.Button = Windows.Forms.MouseButtons.Left Then
        MouseMoved = False
        MoveOffset = New Size(e.Location.X, e.Location.Y)
    End If

End Sub

Private Sub Button2_MouseMove(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) Handles Button2.MouseMove
    'move the button if the left mouse button is held'
    If e.Button = Windows.Forms.MouseButtons.Left Then
        MouseMoved = True
        Button2.Location += New Size(e.Location.X - MoveOffset.X, e.Location.Y - MoveOffset.Y)
    End If
 End Sub

Private Sub Button2_MouseUp(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) Handles Button2.MouseUp
    'simulate a mouse click.'
    'if the mouse did not move and the cursor'
    'is inside the button when released then'
    'its a click.'
    If Not MouseMoved AndAlso Button2.ClientRectangle.Contains(e.Location) Then
        'mouse click code'
        MsgBox("Clicked")
    End If
 End Sub

I have found a solution.
I placed the code into a timer, and then placed an IF statement saying

If valueOfTimer > 15 Then
'code'
End IF
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.