New to .net and programming in general. With help from a friend, I just finished my first program, but with one somewhat small issue. Currently, I have a Winform for the user to enter data into. The form is divided up into 4 tabs. When the user finishes entering data, all of the information is compiled into an Excel workbook with 4 worksheets. The problem (or should I say complaints) is from the individuals who actually take the information for the excel workbook and enter it into our records management system. Some of them have expressed to me that they do not like having to scroll right, through all of the columns (on avg, there is 15-20 columns per worksheet). The rows aren't an issue as there is typically 2-5 rows per worksheet. This probably sounds like pathetic drama and if you only knew the half of it, trying to teach ms office to individuals who have worked with it for years already.

What I'm looking to do is somehow write the data in a different format to make it easier for them. I've also wanted to explore other options, other than writing to Excel and learn something new. Right now I'm looking at creating a Crystal Report and I was wondering if this would be a good approach or if someone else may have a different direction I could go in? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Why does the data have to be copied manually from Excel to the RMS? Who not just write a script or app to do this? And if it has to be done manually, why put it in Excel in the first place?

Some suggestions.
1. Switch between rows and columns in your excel write statement as your rows (2-5) should then take up one screen ; however you would then have to scroll down for the tansposed columns.
2.Autowrite a word doc ( or web page) using a single table instance for each 'row' and the table data logically set out for the column fields.
3. Load the data into a gridview in your app with a copy to clipboard function for rows, or click on a single row to display all fields in a read only text box ( 1 field per line).

@reverend Jim - A lot of companies prefer to have the data validated by a human before entering into the formal RMS(or other db) . Some of it is based on complience requirements and some on the overhead and complexity of auto-validation routines which may need to be changed frequently.
In Gus_19's case this may not be relevant but worth noting.

Understandable. I worked in the energy industry for 29 years so I'm familiar with compliance regulations.

Rev, as far as quincunxian said, it's the whole data validation issue. I tried my head off, talking to management and allowing me to do that. While trying to explain that writing 'scrubbers' would really pay off, but to no avail. At least not at the moment :-) I can kinda see where they are coming from as in one point brought to my attention is just the large number of variations that one entry can be made and trying to do this without creating a duplicate entry.

I started with Excel because I honestly thought it would be the easiest format for the individuals entering data into rms. Since the programs implementation, everyone has grown accustomed to the new style, but I am always trying to find ways to make things easier and the more difficult task of 'idiot-proofing' it. Thanks quincunxian for the advice. Definitelly will explore those ideas and this time, first run a sample by everyone else to get a second opinion.

I suggest you sit down with the users to see what kind of format they would like and then try to come to a compromise that both works for them and is relatively easy to implement for you. I've had to write very few user interfaces, but the biggie was a Load Advisory Program (calculated minimal-loss power generation and transmission scenarios). I worked with one of the system operators who would be using it while developing the interface. I never had one complaint after it went into service.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.