Greetings,

Id like to know what the actual differences is between WPF and Windows Forms.. When i compare those two it just seems like WPF has way more functions, such as using xaml aswell as the standard functions from Windows Forms, also seems to have many more feutures ?

So is there any reason to use Windows Forms over WPF ?

Ty in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If you design your winform using XAML you can have resolution independent screens as everythnig goes into Grid and cells, And the application looks more pretty using WPF. If you need good loooking forms then go for WPF. :) its bit complicated to design in XAML though. And also you can seperate the business logic and code behind like in web.

So is there any reason to use Windows Forms over WPF ?

Backward compatibility comes to mind. WPF was only added in .NET 3.0, and many of us still maintain "legacy" .NET applications (I still have a few targeting 1.1) or specifically target 2.0 for maximum portability.

Lack of desire to learn yet another API also makes sense. Microsoft has ADD when it comes to their GUI libraries. Once we learned Win32 they gave us MFC. Once we learned MFC they gave us .NET. When we got comfortable with Win Forms, they rolled out WPF. Every time the new API was the wave of the future and "you'll be using this from now on". I bet once we're comfortable with WPF they'll change their mind again and roll out something completely different.

commented: Couldn't agree more. +11

I believe you are right, but i think the progress of working with WPF is actually kinda easy and might be a big advantage if you learn how to work with xaml aswell. But thank you both for your answers :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.