I am new to vb and I have been working on getting my brain around this if condition problem I am having in a windows forms in VB. This part of the project is a form writing back to SQL. I am looking to valdate input in textboxAm before I write the data back to the database:

I have combobox1 that has 3 outcomes: monday / friday / saturday

'if monday is chosen then the value in textboxAm can only be 8-12
'if friday is chosen then the value in textboxam can only be 12-24
'if saturday is chosen then the value in textboxam can only be 20 or more
' for each one of the 3 comboboxoptions on error messagebox.show(" blah")

' once one of the 3 criteria is meet move on.
' do i use:

' if combobox1.text = "moNday" andalso textboxAm.text >= 8 andalso textboxAm.text <=12 then
' elseif messagebox.show("monday min is 8 and max is 12...please correct and continue')
' endif
Thank you very much for your help

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Dim hr As Integer = CInt(textboxAm.Text)
Dim msg As String = ""

Select Case Lcase(ComboBox1.Text)
    Case "monday"
        If hr < 8 Or hr > 12 Then 
            msg = "monday min is 8 and max is 12"
        End If
    Case "friday"
        If hr < 12 Or hr > 24 Then 
            msg = "friday min is 12 and max is 24"
        End If
    Case "saturday"
        If hr < 20 Or hr > 24 Then 
            msg = "saturday min is 12 and max is 24"
        End If
End Select

If msg <> "" Then
    MsgBox(msg & "...please correct and continue")
End If

or

Dim hr As Integer = CInt(textboxAm.Text)
    Dim msg As String = ""

Select Case LCase(ComboBox1.Text)
        Case "monday" : msg = IIf(hr < 8 Or hr > 12, "monday min is 8 and max is 12", "")
        Case "friday" : msg = IIf(hr < 12 Or hr > 24, "friday min is 12 and max is 24", "")
        Case "saturday" : msg = IIf(hr < 20 Or hr > 24, "saturday min is 12 and max is 24", "")
    End Select

If msg <> "" Then
        MsgBox(msg & "...please correct and continue")
    End If

got it... I understand what is happening in the first example.

in the 2nd i have not seen IIF before nor the use of the ':' I will look it up now and see what is happening here. thank you for the enlightenment!

The colon allows you to put multiple lines of code on one line. It's usually frowned upon but I find there are certain circumstances where is compresses the number of lines of code and improves readability. IIF is a oneline If Then Else used in assignments where the syntax is

var = IIF(boolean expression, True value, False value)

In my example, if the hours value is outside the acceptable range then assign an error string, else assign an empty string.

RJ
Thanks for today's class on 'select case', IIF... not to mention the LCase pop quiz.
everything is working as advertised.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.