Hi Guys,
I would like to know of any way avaliable to Import / Convert Vb6 Projects to Vb10 Project.
It would be very helpful to me because it is a large program which has too much of coding which I cannot redo in the Vb10.
Any post would be very helpful for me
Thanks in advance,
Yuvjeeth

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If you just try to open the vb6 project in vb10 it should automatically start the conversion wizard. It will take you through the conversion and ask you if you want to see the resulting log file when done. In my experience it does a decent job of converting. If you have problems you can always post the zipped project file here for someone to give it a try. Keep in mind that there is a one meg size limit so it may be necessary to delete any exe file(s) in the folder before zipping.

If you just try to open the vb6 project in vb10 it should automatically start the conversion wizard. It will take you through the conversion and ask you if you want to see the resulting log file when done. In my experience it does a decent job of converting.

^^ Misinformation

Visual Studio 2010 does not provide tools for upgrading applications and projects from Visual Basic 6.0. If you want to upgrade your project from Visual Basic 6.0 to Visual Basic 2010, you can use the upgrade tools provided with earlier versions of Visual Studio and then upgrade the project again in Visual Studio 2010.

Here is VS Express 2008 link that still works:

Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition ISO

Upgrading much other than simple programs may be more hassle than it is worth.

Here is an article that discusses the issues: On Migrating a VB Project to VB.NET

Also note that the VB6Compatibilty library that is used in upgrading was declared obsolete in .Net 4.0.

Perhaps I was thinking of the upgrade when opening older vb.net apps. My apologies for the misinformation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.