Hello all, zoidmaster here. I have a question regarding work with a MS Access database. I have the code written out from a tutorial I found online for a basic database, however all it can do with the database is read, add and delete lines from it. I'm trying to create a similar setup but with the capability to search. My question is this: What are the SQL parameters I can use with my vb.net code? I'm kinda just looking for a general list. I assume they would be readily available somewhere like a Windows Command Prompt help list for commands. This is essentially what I'm working with (albeit this obviously isn't all of the code for the database to function):

dbProvider = "PROVIDER = Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;"
        dbSource = "Data Source = C:\Users\tim_2\Downloads\AddressBook\AddressBook.mdb"

con.ConnectionString = dbProvider & dbSource

con.Open()

sql = "SELECT * FROM tblContacts"
        da = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(sql, con)
        da.Fill(ds, "AddressBook")
        con.Close()

MaxRows = ds.Tables("AddressBook").Rows.Count
        inc = -1

What I need is the possible parameters that can be used to modify sql = "SELECT * FROM tblContacts". I've looked around and seen parameters such as "WHERE" and "LIKE" but I can't find anything that explains what my options are or what they do. Any help would be much appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You could start with the w3 SQL tutorial

I almost feel rather stupid for not checking W3 schools. That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.