I have been debugging my application for 6 months. Now, when I try to run it I am getting "under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections." My computer is not on a network.

I recently went from Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition to the Professional edition. I was still able to test my app after installing the Professional edition. One possibility is that SQL Service Pack 1 was installed today. My app worked before that, now it doesn't.

The problem is that the SQL Server is not started. I ran sseutil -L to start SQL, but, it could not start it. Look at attached screen capture of the SQL Server Configuration Manager.

I recently went from Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition to the Professional edition.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can help you with this problem. But, I was going to see if you could offer me any insight into using Visual Studio Express Edition versus the Professional Edition. As far as, how much the Express Edition can handle compared to the Professional.

Thanks

Use the Express edition until you come up with a good reason to upgrade.
The Windows Installer in Professional is the reason I upgraded.

The ClickOnce installer in Express kept giving the"Unknown Publisher" warning. WI doesn't.

ClickOnce buried the app so deep that you would never find it. WI puts it in Programs\AppName.

I found a great deal on Visual Studio 2005 Professional on Ebay, so I jumped on it.

I developed most of my app with Express. Then I installed the Professional 90 Free Trial. Then I went back to Express. Then I got annoyed with the limitations of the ClickOnce installer.

I saw where you could spend over $20,000 for the Professional Edition with MSDN subscription! I don't understand that. I thought that I was using MSDN all along with the free edition.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.