Hi ,I work with vb.net 2005 . I want to know if I want to connect to data base with Ms Access which data source i can use (ODBC or OLEDB)
I write the following code in form load event (by OLEDB) :

Dim conn As New OleDb.OleDbConnection("Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Registry Path=;Jet OLEDBdatabase Locking Mode=1;Jet OLEDBdatabase Password=;Data Source=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Samples\Northwind.mdb;Password=;Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Jet OLEDB:System database=;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False;Extended Properties=;Mode=Share Deny None;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password=;Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDBdon't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;User ID=Admin;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False")

Dim da As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("select * from orders", conn)
Dim ds As New DataSet
da.Fill(ds)

and have an error that "OledbException was unhandled"
How can i solve this error or How can connect with ODBC data source to MS access data base.
I will happy if anyone can help me.
Thank You , MOJAL

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Member Avatar for nicentral

Two things. Use the IDE to get the correct connection string. It seems a bit long with a lot of unnecessary options for Jet Database. Then make sure you ALWAYS put your connection in a Try/Catch block. This is the only way to handle exceptions.

Andy

Member Avatar for nicentral

Hello Andy Thank you very much for your answer dear andy i do your suggestion but i dont have any connection to ms access database also i dont have any error because of your desribtion. can you help me more please
i hope have a nice life with the God protection.
:p Mojal

Mojal --

try changing the code to

Dim conn As New OleDb.OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=\somepath\mydb.mdb")

if it still doesn't work, you might have the wrong path for your database file.

-- Andy

try something like this......

Private currpath As String = System.Environment.CurrentDirectory
Private connService As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source= " & currpath & "\ServiceCalls.mdb")
Public daCustomers As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("Select * from Customers", connService)
Public daCalls As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("Select * from Calls ORDER BY CustomerID", connService)
Private daCallStatus As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("Select * from Status", connService)
Private cbCustomers As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommandBuilder(daCustomers)
Private cbCalls As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDb

Hi Mojal:

I am new to database too. Can you please tell me as to where I need to type the code that you have (for database connectivity) ? Is it typed in the form_load procedure ?

It will be nice if you can reply ASAP. you can email me at kukki.kanchana@gmail.com

Hi ,I work with vb.net 2005 . I want to know if I want to connect to data base with Ms Access which data source i can use (ODBC or OLEDB)
I write the following code in form load event (by OLEDB) :

Dim conn As New OleDb.OleDbConnection("Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Registry Path=;Jet OLEDBdatabase Locking Mode=1;Jet OLEDBdatabase Password=;Data Source=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Samples\Northwind.mdb;Password=;Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Jet OLEDB:System database=;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False;Extended Properties=;Mode=Share Deny None;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password=;Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDBdon't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;User ID=Admin;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False")

Dim da As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("select * from orders", conn)
Dim ds As New DataSet
da.Fill(ds)

and have an error that "OledbException was unhandled"
How can i solve this error or How can connect with ODBC data source to MS access data base.
I will happy if anyone can help me.
Thank You , MOJAL

Folks:
I am new to VB and I am using VB.NET.Can anyone please tell me as to where the code for setting up the database connection needs to be typed?

If you can reply ASAP, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kavitha.

Hi:

I am new to VB.NET. Can you please tell me as to where this code needs to be typed for acquiring database connectivity?

If you reply ASAP, it will be of great help to me.

Thanks,
Kavitha.

Private connService As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source= " & currpath & "\ServiceCalls.mdb")
Public daCustomers As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("Select * from Customers", connService)
Public daCalls As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("Select * from Calls ORDER BY CustomerID", connService)
Private daCallStatus As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("Select * from Status", connService)

Folks:

I am new to VB.Et. Can you please tell me as to where the code for database connectivity needs to be typed?

Thanks,
Kavitha.

Hi:

I missed to see that the code needs to be typed in the Form Load window. Thanks Mojal. But I hope to keep in touch with you folks to discuss more about VB.NET and Access.

Thanks,
Kavitha.

Hi SethR:

I am Kavitha and I am a newbie to VB.NET. I want to know as to what this code would do!. Can you just explain it to me?

Thanks,
Kavitha.

Hi

I am new in Vb.net, I want to connect ms-access database
Please help me

Thanks
Ram Kishroe

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.