hi every one:
today my supervisor asked me to choose a version of vb to start developing my project . honestly speaking I am so lost which version to choose" vb" or" vb.net 2005".
honestly my oop programing is not good at all and I have one and half month to develop this project which is about:

the designers of products are the user and they are able to choose their materials and refrence number from database (excel sheets) and they enter the quantity for the materials finally the program does some "eco design " calculations based on specific formulas and give them some eco design parameter _ also graphical illustration

please help me which version I should choose
thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Before vb.net there was vb4, vb5, and vb6 for 32 bit windows programming. vb6 is going to stop being supported by microsoft early next year, and vb.net is the successor to vb6, so you should be using vb.net unless you have a good reason to use vb6.

vb.net has 3 versions, soon to be 4. vb.net, vb.net 2003, and vb.net 2005. You should use 2003 or 2005, but 2005 is better because it uses a newer version of the .net framework and has features that make coding easier.

frankly to speak,
always go for updated version.never goto later versions(but for practice& to gain knowledge version-2003 is best) .And if ur criteria is just to give the result then gofor vs-2005
regards,,
preetham

hi every one:
today my supervisor asked me to choose a version of vb to start developing my project . honestly speaking I am so lost which version to choose" vb" or" vb.net 2005".
honestly my oop programing is not good at all and I have one and half month to develop this project which is about:

the designers of products are the user and they are able to choose their materials and refrence number from database (excel sheets) and they enter the quantity for the materials finally the program does some "eco design " calculations based on specific formulas and give them some eco design parameter _ also graphical illustration

please help me which version I should choose
thanks in advance

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone gets lost in the beginning!!! That's not a problem, it's challenge. First of all you decide if you will be using .NET or, just VB6.0 for instance.You may choose .NET if you have the software. It's a very powerful application.

Go to Google and search for easy references, particularly the white papers, on VB.NET applications starting from scratch. You may buy an easy used book in Amazon.com

If you have a question/problem, ask this forum.

Asoke Bhattacharyya
Simulation and Modeling
Plainfield,IL, USA

Mate, I pesonally thing VB6 is a much easier language to learn on.
However I would not bother now as VB.NET is the standard. While it was hard for me to move across from VB6, it was worth it. .Net is so much better and more powerful

What it has to do with my question???

Tim Norton: ate, I pesonally thing VB6 is a much easier language to learn on.
However I would not bother now as VB.NET is the standard. While it was hard for me to move across from VB6, it was worth it. .Net is so much better and more powerful

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.